New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mitsubishi 3 cyl on genset
 Login/Join

2013 sponsor
posted
I run my business on power from a 6kw light tower as a generator. It has a 3 cyl. Mitsubishi diesel engine, very economical. Any special tips or warnings regarding running 100% biodiesel in it? What about a blend?

I have a small chemical company and specialize in "green" chemistry. I want to operate completely on renewable energy. The generator works great and have used some biodiesel in it but want to hear if there are any problems. It's probably a five year old engine.

2002 F-250, 7.3l on WVO since '04
'82 VW Rabbit diesel 1.6l na
'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
3 Chinese Changfa-style diesel generators- 12kw, 8kw & 7.5kw
Mitsubishi 3 cyl diesel generator/light tower
Kubota 2 cyl. diesel, water cooled air compressor
Onan 12.5kw air-cooled diesel genset
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
By the way, the engine is the L3E-W461ML, inline 3 cylinder, normally aspirated.

'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's
I run my company entirely on renewable energy including electricity from generators running on biofuels.

Location: El Dorado, Ark | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd T:
I run my business on power from a 6kw light tower as a generator. It has a 3 cyl. Mitsubishi diesel engine, very economical. Any special tips or warnings regarding running 100% biodiesel in it? What about a blend?

I have a small chemical company and specialize in "green" chemistry. I want to operate completely on renewable energy. The generator works great and have used some biodiesel in it but want to hear if there are any problems. It's probably a five year old engine.

Todd:
I really like the idea of running on your own power!!
Does your power company allow you to do a Net Metering
deal or are you off the grid totally ??
We have a very small Biodiesel deal in Noth Alabama selling Off road locally.
Always had as part of the plan to run a Generator on site.
Still would like to do it but even thinking it would be a great test bed for
running a blend of the really bad WVO that I typically don't try and make fuel with.
Thanks
Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
My state has a great net-metering law... a direct swap, kwh in, kwh out. Unfortunately, I haven't found a cost effective way to do the grid intertie (synchronization between my generator and the grid). I work with other types of renewable energy as well and know of one place where they are running a 25kw generator on renewable energy, connected to the grid. The electrical equipment manufacturers tell me their hardware monitors the frequency of both the grid and the local genset. When the two are in synch, the generator locks in and then "keeps up" with the grid through computer controlled speed governors. But, that type control equipment just doesn't work on gensets below about 20kw. It's like trying to use cruise control at 35mph. Hard to get it steady.

If you know of any creative ways to handle the grid-intertie, let me know!

The only other way I've heard about is to rectify the AC power over to DC, then go through an inverter/controller from a solar or wind power system and likely using bank of batteries as a buffer. The intertie hardware could cost much more than the generator. I'd love to do that with capacitors but don't know the necessary details.

'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's

posted Hide Post
Todd,
Like you said , The sync portion of the equation has to be figured out.
All the solutions I have seen as well are not inexpensive. Please let us know when you get it figured out, or at least when you put something in place.
TVA ( Tenessee Valley Authority ) requires a seperate meter but they pay a premium over the standard rate. Biodiesel powered Generators are not yet approved by their program underwritwers.
Capacitors , thanks to the Automotive Industry are making significant progress from a technology standpoint,and probably the batteries of the future. I have yet to see any with Intelligence though which obviously the control portion requires. Good Luck !!! and if you ever head this way Please look us up !! I have a very good friend from El Dorado,Do you know the guys @ Joes Tire !!!
regards
Tom

Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 sponsor
posted Hide Post
You mean you're going to admit you know Joe in public? You are a brave soul!

Joe and his sons are as fine as they come. I was in school with Greg and Joe used to be our church's scout leader when I was growing up. He's one of those guys who just brightens up a room... a personality matched by his generosity. Do you know Joe or his sons or both?

I used to get over to Courtland every once in a while. My background is pulp and paper though I'm doing more and more in renewable energy. I really like that Tenn River Valley area.

If you get over here to see the Cheshier family, come by!

'83 GMC 6.2l Class C RV
'85 F-350, 6.9l flat bed
'85 E-350, 6.9l cube van
2 Mercedes 300SD's

posted Hide Post
Todd:
The Good Ole days @ United Methodist Church in El Dorado.
Paul Cheshire is not just a Brother, he's an Associate Pastor here in Decatur @ First Bible Church and my Hero !!!
Please send me a PM @ tomh@synerfuel.com
regards
Tom

Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?