Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
Looking for a biodiesel capable engine for atv project.

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/615106403/m/7837070733

June 13, 2011, 12:51 PM
Workhorse
Looking for a biodiesel capable engine for atv project.
Hello.

I am looking for a two or three cylinder diesel engine under 1000cc direct injection air or liquid cooled that can use recycled or bio-diesel. To be used in an atv.

I am aware of the Hatz 2G40 engine and it runs bio diesel quite well. However being air cooled without fins makes it hard to cool in a confined covered space that is an atv, not to mention heat under the rider (seat).

Thank You.
June 14, 2011, 09:00 AM
johno
In the US, you can buy the 26 hp 950cc 3-cylinder Diahatsu Indirect Injection diesel through Briggs&Stratton distributors. I'm using one to build a motorcycle. I got it though a Texas distributor who sells them to manufacturers of large lawn moxers (think golf course-size machines). They even sell a turbo-charged version (31 hp?)!!

Why do you want Direct Injection? They are less tolerant of fuel quality, and noisier.
Semi-Direct Injection diesels include Lamborghini and Lombardi, but I'm not sure of the sizes offered, or where to buy one. The semi-direct injection design has the pre-combustion chamber in the piston, where it is easier to cool with crankcase oil. I have only seen air-cooled versions (and have a couple Lombardi single-cylidner examples).

Have you already investigaged Kubota?

See also Surplus Center (sorry I don't have their web address) - they usually have a variety of small-ish diesel engines to choose from.

Cheers,
JohnO