BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Soap from the Glycerine by-product    First attempt at soap making!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First attempt at soap making!
 Login/Join

posted
I’ve been reading Ricks book on soap making but am somewhat confused! The measurements in the recipe section are in oz, Is that liquid measure or weight? For example one recipe calls for 51 oz of byproduct; 13 oz of lard; 3.68 oz NaOH and 12.46 oz of water. For sure the lye amount is weight, but what about the others?
Under the section on scenting the sub title reads Scent needed for 2 lb of soap. From that can I assume the measurements in the recipe area are also weight. Any help gratefully appreciated!
Oh happy day when the rest of the world goes metric! Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Made soap with his receipes for a couple of years before and always used weight, he usually monitors the forums and also is real good about responding to email on this website.

2006 Duramax, B100 200k Acadiana Biodiesel
US Army Retired
He that can have Patience, can have what he will
- Benjamin Franklin

Location: Hill country, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All chemical formulas are by weight. If by volume it should be specified.

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank guys, made my first batch yesterday, maybe not cooked long enough (temp was 180f) but I have rubber soap today and it works great, I was hoping for hard bar soap.

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Wow! How to complicate a simple matter.

Firstly, what is the original feedstock oil? That will determine the rest of it. As I explained in The Guide, not all oils are created equal, and the further you get away from hydrogenated oils the more difficult it will be to achieve a decent bar. This is yet compounded by the type of catalyst used (NaOH/KOH).

There is no way you can give a blanket recipe that fits all in this case. That stuff only works when you are dealing with a boatload of chemicals and synthetics, not straight up soap. To claim otherwise is false information.

Every feedstock oil has it's own properties that react differently, and that mixed with the type of reaction catalyst used will determine many factors in the production of a decent bar from it's glycerine layer.

The fact that you are using lard at all shows that you are probably dealing with a short chain oil, like canola or soy. Was the original reaction done with NaOH or KOH? The first will make it simpler to achieve bars from than the later - not impossible, but harder.

I can give you, via email, a straight up recipe using the glyc from an NaOH reacted canola that gives perfectly hardened bars every time, but is that what you have ? I now have this down to where it is almost as simple as producing liquid soap and in about as much time too. Of course you could just wait a bit for the next edition of Lather! as it will all be in there.

*Lather! is a subscription only publication not to be duplicated other than for personal use.*

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biotom:
I’ve been reading Ricks book on soap making but am somewhat confused! The measurements in the recipe section are in oz, Is that liquid measure or weight? For example one recipe calls for 51 oz of byproduct; 13 oz of lard; 3.68 oz NaOH and 12.46 oz of water. For sure the lye amount is weight, but what about the others?
Under the section on scenting the sub title reads Scent needed for 2 lb of soap. From that can I assume the measurements in the recipe area are also weight. Any help gratefully appreciated!
Oh happy day when the rest of the world goes metric! Tom

Tom,

All measurements should be done by weight.

You can also make your own recipe using additional oils such as coconut oil, palm kernel oil or lard as you are currently using. Have a look at the KNC Soap Calculator it has the whole oils/fatty acids that work well with our BDG soaps. Again the measurements are by weight not volume.

The calculator simplifies the process of formulating a soap recipe for you BDG soaps. I already have the SAP values for each oil so you only need to determine what other ingredients you would like to use and how much.

Each of the ingredients I recommend are summarized on the ingredients page of my website. Each has a full page of details that include the MSDS, Definition, Fatty acid makeup and how they effect the final BDG soap.

Here is an example for Coconut Oil

The ingredients show there are the ones that seem to work best with our BDG soaps.

Using the soap calculator and the ingredients pages makes BDG soap making as easy as a few mouse clicks. Smile

Happy soaping!

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Imagecoconutoil.jpg (49 Kb, 3 downloads) coconut oil

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biotom:
thank guys, made my first batch yesterday, maybe not cooked long enough (temp was 180f) but I have rubber soap today and it works great, I was hoping for hard bar soap.

Tom,

Try using the coconut oil recipe. It will harden better than lard will, you could also add some stearic acid to help harden the bars.

The bars I make are not at all rubbery, they are as firm as you would expect from a natural bar of soap, with TONS of lather.

Rubbery soap happens when you have too much "soft" oils such as canola or soybean. In a traditional soap recipe "soft" oils only account for about 10% of a soap recipe. BDG bar soap recipes with more than 80% BDG can become rubbery.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rick K,

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post