BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Soap from the Glycerine by-product    De-methed KOH glycerin not very fluid at 200F
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

De-methed KOH glycerin not very fluid at 200F
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone run into this? This is perhaps the 2nd time in 3 years that this has occurred. Last batch of fuel titrated at 5, passed 3/27 and washed out great. Ran the glycerin through our still and recovered the typical amount of methanol. Went to drain it to make soap and at 200F it was not flowing nearly how it usually does, very slow. I still made soap using my standard recipe and its a lot thicker than normal.

I took a lot of water to get it fluid enough to put down the drain. Perhaps 20% glycerin or less, it was late and I just kept diluting it and finally down it went.

posted Hide Post
The thickness of the BDG after the methanol has been removed can be effected by a number of things, at least in my experience.

• SAP Value -- The lower the SAP value of the BDG the more soaps there are in the BDG. Believe it or not you can have a negative SAP value, this BDG is very thick even at higher temperatures.
  • Temperature obtained when removing the methanol -- The BDG may contain water as well as methanol, the higher the temperature the more methanol and water are removed.
  • Percentage of saturated fatty acid soaps -- Soaps from oils high in stearic acid, myristic acid, palmitic acid or lauric acid will be thicker at higher temperatures. If the oil used to make the BD had some saturated oils the BDG can be thicker and the melting point higher.
  • The glycerin ratio or how much of the BDG is glycerin and how much is soap -- The more soap that is actually in the BDG the thicker it will be and the higher the melting point will be. Basically the glycerin along with water and methanol are the solvents that are lowering the melting point of the soaps within the BDG. If there are more soaps then the melting point will be higher.
  • How well the BD has settled out of the BDG. Biodiesel will also act like a solvent, the better "settled" the BDG is the thicker it will be after the methanol has been removed.

Liquid soap that has had no dilution will be a paste once fully saponified. And our BDG is just a batch of soap in the end. The further saponified and "dried" the thicker it will be and the higher the melting point will be -- because of the reduction in solvents.

This is in no way a complete list of reasons but these are things I have found that have an effect on my BDG that has had the methanol removed.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Freesoul;
Check your PM. Its simpler than it looks.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, My vote is for Ricks first bullet point, lots of soap in it.
I have never tried KOH but I know when I have a high titrating batch using NaOH it takes an eternity to drain the glycerin compared to a standard low titrating batch. You can actually see the strings of soap in it when its really thick... This is of course after demething via the WBD or push/pull where the majority of the soap from the biodiesel ends up in the glycerin too, not sure if thats what your up to... probably not if your washing... Thats my two cents anyways... Wink
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well the next batch was just as thick at 200F, I just needed to adjust my recipe a little (more water)

We have a reflux column so its doubtful we are distilling water out of it. Our feedstock is clear at room temp also, no animal fats. Still puzzled.