Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

too much koh
 Login/Join

posted
It's been a while since I made soap and might have missed something. I use KOH with KOH reacted glycerine to make the soap. 40 g per litre and 1 litre of water per litre of glycerine. Heated up to 100F and stirred for 30 minutes using stick blender. Way too much KOH left compared to my former batches. Should I just continue to heat and stir or will it finish off by itself in a few weeks? Thanks folks.

Location: Peterborough | Registered: May 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to take it to 170+F for about an hour to complete the reaction. If your PH is still too high (10.5 or over), you can add more BDG to pull it down. You will have to run the reaction cycle again.

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob. Do I need to keep stirring it? I'm cold processing.

Location: Peterborough | Registered: May 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know how long cold processing will take doing liquid soap. With hard soap you would stir until trace, then pour in a mold. I don't think you would need to stir it the whole time, just enough to do a good job of mixing. A stick blender makes it a lot easier.

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Full cure can take up to a month in certain cases in cold process,although a couple weeks is standard.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi to all and thanks for feedback. I went ahead and hot-processed to finish it off and it turned out great. As it happens so often, it takes people quite a while to realize how good this soap is. One outlet I've found satisfying is with the professional massage therapists. Because they use oily products their linens become discolored even with a thorough cleaning. My KOH-reacted canola based soap gets rids of these stains and I sell it by the gallon to these folks. Not that there are that many buying - yet. Enough to pursue the rest of the market though. Thanks again, especially to Luc "Legal Eagle" and Jon Heron. By the way Jon, do you have any more glycerin to get rid of? I still owe you soap.

posted Hide Post
Massage therapists is a good idea, and there are usually plenty of them everywhere so it opens up a whole new niche market.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Any news to report on the massage venue?