BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Soap from the Glycerine by-product    rats are eating my soap!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rats are eating my soap!
 Login/Join

posted
just when I thought I saw it all. Our bioshed has a couple of house guests. Now they have never really been a problem until now. we have been slowly getting our soap making dialed in, and always have hundreds of bars on shelves drying. none have ever been messed with until now. we had a batch of 50/50 glycerin/ lard soap all cut up in bars and pretty much ready to shrink wrap. tonight when I took the trays down to wrap the bars, many were covered with spots where the rats had chewed on the edges. It had patchouli fragrance oil for scent. this is never routine! does anyone have any ideas on why they raided that batch and not others?

powering
2 bobcats, an excavator, and a ventrac mower. looking for a diesel weedeater!

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try putting a few drops of patchouli on some rat poison after removing the soap or placing it in rat proof containers.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The colder it gets the more rodents will eat just about anything. I had a bunch ruined by mice over one winter; they used the wrapping for nesting material and chewed on the soap just to see what it tasted like.

My solution is to place the finished bars in tightly sealed buckets away from where they congregate. I gad to do the same thing with the lard I have too, as they seem to think that is eatable ...

Then there is always the cat solution ...

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These aren't mice, so the cat is out, unless it's a bobcat! I've seen one of these rats, and it could pull a cart. the rat poison does work most of the time, but there are one or two who seem to be too smart for all that. I even bought some sticky traps, and had some of those have come up missing. I wouldn't say that we really have a rat problem, I think it's just the time of year that they are looking to hang out some place warm. with all the heated tanks down there, it's warmer than I keep my house. The bummer here is that they nibbled on about 50 bars.

powering

Location: morgantown wv | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now you could add "All natural,tested on rats" to your label.Smile

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fuelfarmer, I wish there was a "like" button on here. that made me smile.

powering

posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've discovered a new use for all that glycerin.
Now ya just need more rats...

Big Grin

-Ken

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a thread on how to use wildlife to help make Bio. I picked up a barrell from a chinese place that weighted about 1000 pounds as they had been puting flour in with the oil and it would not pull. Explained to the customer and replaced the barrell but what to do now with this mushy concrete without losing the barrell? Turned it on the side and put it out back of the shed so it could dry out and hopefully then clean it. Forgot about it, went to mow the grass and the barrell was empty of flour but full of possum scat. Hosed out the scat and have my eye out for that possum.

2006 Duramax, B100 200k Acadiana Biodiesel
US Army Retired
He that can have Patience, can have what he will
- Benjamin Franklin

Location: Hill country, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ken, the last thing I need is more rats. as it is, my partner won't take anymore naps on the "thinking couch" that is in our lab. he's just too afraid one of those guys will run up the leg of his bib overalls and try to make a nest while he's asleep.

powering