BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Soap from the Glycerine by-product    How can you make soap that dont smell like biodiesel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How can you make soap that dont smell like biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted
How can you make soap that dont smell like biodiesel?
Ive tried to over scent and it still smells like Biodiesel. I made liquid soap to use in the washer and used a downy scent. Lots of it. In the bottle it smell good, but after washing cloths, they smell like a mix of bio and downy. I want to use it to save us money but the wife is kinda frowning on the smell. Is there a fix?

www.turnerbiodiesel.com
www.turnerindustriesinc.com
Metal Fabrication and BioDiesel Products. Dry Wash Towers,Processors,Home Heating,Centrifuges,Steel Drum Cone

Location: Chippewa Falls WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what is a downy scent?

our unscented soap has more of a burned smell to it, at least to me, from the distillation process and taking it to such a high temp

posted Hide Post
The scent of fabric softener. Yes, thats the smell, A burnt bio smell. The stuff work awesome, way better than any other store bought stuff but the smell is a turn off for the wife. I dont mind it to much because I get covered in oil and bio almost everyday. I did notice it will fade the cloths faster though.

www.turnerbiodiesel.com
Metal Fabrication and BioDiesel Products. Dry Wash Towers,Processors,Home Heating,Centrifuges,Steel Drum Cone

Location: Chippewa Falls WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use unscented in the laundry and dryer sheets, smell has never been an issue for me or the wife. I would suggest trying another scent.

posted Hide Post
Turner,
I have found that if the BDG is fully saponified the smell is greatly reduced. You can do that by working out a SAP value for the BDG.

I have a blog post that talks about working out a SAP.

http://bdgsoaper.blogspot.com/...ap-test-knc-sap.html

The second thing you can do is add a percentage of traditional ingredients. I find that by adding coconut oil and saponifying that with the BDG the odor is reduced. Coconut oil is also a good cleaning additive. Many commercial laundry detergents use a coco/tallow blend surfactant.

You can use my SAP calculator to help you work out a recipe.

http://knicenclean.com/calculator/kncsoapcalc.html

I also found that orange oil helps with the odor, orange oil also acts as an additional cleaner.

If you want you can send me some of your BDG and I will see what I can do with it.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a thought but how are you demething the glycerin? Is the burned smell just that, burnt material from a heating element? Finding a way to keep it agitated or using indirect heat could solve this

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick K:
Turner,
I have found that if the BDG is fully saponified the smell is greatly reduced. You can do that by working out a SAP value for the BDG.

I have a blog post that talks about working out a SAP.

http://bdgsoaper.blogspot.com/...ap-test-knc-sap.html

The second thing you can do is add a percentage of traditional ingredients. I find that by adding coconut oil and saponifying that with the BDG the odor is reduced. Coconut oil is also a good cleaning additive. Many commercial laundry detergents use a coco/tallow blend surfactant.

You can use my SAP calculator to help you work out a recipe.

http://knicenclean.com/calculator/kncsoapcalc.html

I also found that orange oil helps with the odor, orange oil also acts as an additional cleaner.

If you want you can send me some of your BDG and I will see what I can do with it.

Thanks, I think I may send you some.

www.turnerbiodiesel.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BWilder:
Just a thought but how are you demething the glycerin? Is the burned smell just that, burnt material from a heating element? Finding a way to keep it agitated or using indirect heat could solve this

I use a big boiling pot on a burner. It demeths to a solid chunk of KOH glycerin. I geuss this batch could smell more burnt because it did start on fire. Was not paing attention and it boiled to fast. It burnt for 20 min till the flames went out. This is the only batch that did that and the other batches still had a glycerin, burnt, biodiesel smell.

www.turnerbiodiesel.com