BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Soap from the Glycerine by-product    Seems like I need to come up with a double -boiler arrangement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seems like I need to come up with a double -boiler arrangement
 Login/Join

posted
I don't see much about soapmaking lately in this forum ,but I'm going to ask anyway. I've made about 6 batches of soap with varying results, some I like and others not so great. I'd like to set-up a double boiler so I can control the heat better than just using a pot on a hot plate. I have times when the mixture starts to set-up too quick,other times when it doesn't cure, and then the one that turns out perfect. I think its due to poor temperature control and if I use a double boiler arrangement with water in between I think I can get better results. I'm going to use a gas burner,but I think its important to use pots that match and allow the right amount of water in-between them. Any input is appreciated . Are there any pics? This for hot processed soap.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: heatbeater,

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heat,
I do all my test batches with a slow cooker, great heat control. You can use the probe and set the temperature to whatever you like. This particualar one will only probe up to 180*F. Perfect for hot processing.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hami...0944&ci_sku=10715962

I'm using it right now making a test batch with a glycerin ratio experiment.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Rick, looks pretty handy and the peak temp is right where you need it. At least from my experience . Using the hot plate is very hard to control temps. I think I'm steamin off water and the mixture starts to set up.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post