BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Soap from the Glycerine by-product    More pictures of Biodiesel glycerin laundry soap--the wife is using it!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More pictures of Biodiesel glycerin laundry soap--the wife is using it!
 Login/Join

posted
So today I was in my office and my wife walked in with this...

Yes, folks, that's a very grimy looking bottle of Verde Rain ("green" Rain) is what she walked in with.

About a year ago a soap maker sent me a bottle of the stuff he was experimenting with and it sat in our laundry area all this time. I'd occasionally sneak some of it into the laundry and would stick it back up on the shelf.

It looks really nasty when you pour it...

See the chunks?

Yep! We've got some pretty dark stuff going on here...

Imagine a chocolate cake mix batter with clumps in it & you've got the basic idea.
However, it smells GREAT!!!

It has a really strong citrus smell to it, which I really love (I'm a sucker for citrus soaps).

When you add it to the water though it does discolor the water a bit, which can be disconcerting when you're adding it to a batch of laundry that you're trying to clean.

And when the washer is full of water, the wash water is really murky looking with this stuff in there, but it cleans really well.

So, back to the story....

She walked in today & said, "So, is this stuff laundry soap?"
"Yep!"
"Is there anything wrong with it?"
"Well, it looks kind of gross, but no, it works really well and smells great."
"Ok...."

And she walked back out the door & I thought nothing of it.
I figured she'd stick it back up on the wall above the washer and that would be the end of it.

So later today I walked back into the laundry room & found that she'd actually started using it!

Instead of it sitting up above the washer, it was on the dryer, which means it's finally graduated to the spot where it'll start getting used.

She washed a bunch of towels and some blankets with it, so that's a great sign!

In case you're interested, here's the story behind it...

About a year ago, someone asked me if I'd be up for trying out a new laundry detergent they'd been working on. They were in Costa Rica & I said, "Sure!" and didn't think much of it (a lot of people say they'll send samples but I never do get them).

Sure enough, a little while later a big box showed up with this bottle of soap in it.
I tried it a few times & shared my feedback with him, but then it just sat up on the shelf. I kept wondering what I was going to do with it, but for the most part it just sat there.

Occasionally I'd use it (when I could sneak some into the wash), but mostly it was just there to show people that stopped by that it could be done.

Once Rick's laundry detergent soap showed up and I showed it to her & she started using it, she started softening up a bit to the soap. She'd also seen how well the other stuff I've been working with has been doing (carpets in the van, daughters hair, etc) and I've been bragging to everyone that'll listen to me about how well it's working on my psoriasis.

So, as of today, the wife is finally using the brown stuff that looks like chocolate pudding. And liking the results too!

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe this soap was made by caseboy on this forum.
He really knows his stuff in the area of laundry soaps!

He and I have chatted in the past and he has a lot of great ideas, I learned a bit about being able to saponify with caustics other than NaOH and KOH and some reasons as to why you might want to do that. One being that the soap will work well in hard water.

He is sending me a sample of his latest laundry soap. Knowing about some of the improvements he has made I am really excited to see what he has come up with!

Maybe he will chime in and give us some hints on what's working for him!

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Here's his website...
http://dieselloverde.com/eng/index_eng.php

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More

posted Hide Post
Yep. Looks like he's gone public in a pretty big way too.

posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks for the kind words!

It was me that sent the soap to Graydon, and yes the laundry soap looks like clumpy poo Smile But, it works better than the local stuff we get down here. The color gives it the appearance that it looks like it would stain whites, but in fact it gets them very clean.

The bottle that was sent to graydon was definitely prototype, and the process has been refined quite a bit. the biggest challenge is the color, it's tough for people to believe that it won't stain. Here's a photo of a before and after shot on some of my nasty running shoes (after lots of running through muddy jungles)...

the other challenge was solubility. You had to mix it pretty well to get it to dissolve, but that has since been improved as well. We also changed the name, and we call it Laundry Mud, which is really what it looks like and helps set the expectation.

We sell it locally, but our best seller is our hand soap. It has explosive lather, good transparency and a strong eco story behind it. Luc has a bottle of it as do a few others in the states. I have an obvious bias, but I think it looks natural as well. Here's a photo...

Graydon, I'll be back in the states next month, I'll send you a few bottles.

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress.

Dan C

Location: earth | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Your soap showed up today.
All I can say is OUTSTANDING!
I love the packaging, I love the consistency, I love the lather!

Great Job Dan!

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post