BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Soap from the Glycerine by-product    how long to remove methanol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how long to remove methanol
 Login/Join

posted
Was wondering how to test my glycerine to see if I got all the methanol out? I'm wanting to try my hand at making soap (again) and haven't found anything on here about testing the glycerine AFTER I get rid of the methanol. Is there a simple test to perform to find out? All I'm doing is basically boiling it off. I know that's not the best method but its all I have at the moment.

Location: Washington,PA | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that works, I measured the glycerin into the soap pot, not alumimum of course, and then heated to a good rolling boil, let it cool down while I got everything else ready. My soap glycerin was in a smaller container by the back door so it probably evaporated quite a bit out also. Did this in a big crock pot with a temperature control out in the shed by the processor, not in the house

2006 Duramax, B100 200k Acadiana Biodiesel
US Army Retired
He that can have Patience, can have what he will
- Benjamin Franklin

Location: Hill country, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Measure the pot temp, get it up to 260F or higher. Take a sample and see if it will light.

Donald- you were boiling off methanol indoors? If so this is foolish.

posted Hide Post
No sorry, out in the shed, big open sided, I cook it off in a crock pot with a temp control.

2006 Duramax, B100 200k Acadiana Biodiesel
US Army Retired
He that can have Patience, can have what he will
- Benjamin Franklin

Location: Hill country, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So that's it? Just light a sample? My girlfriend and I plan on making soap to sell and really don't feel like getting sued because there's methanol left in the glycerine. I know we won't be able to get absolutely all of it out, but we want it at a safe level.

Location: Washington,PA | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
As a rule of thumb simmer it (not a hard boil) so that you can see the roll for 40-45 min PER liter. Once that is done take a small sample that is still hot in a shallow dish and strike a match over it as soon as you can after putting in the dish. If it ignites (and it will if there is even a small amount of methanol present) then you have to cook it off more.

Burning methanol on top of glycerin will not be evident right away, but you will be able to see the glycerin "bubble" and if you look real close you will see the flame ( methanol burns almost clear).

Get a good thermometer that is used in cooking and continually test the temperature of the glycerin as it simmers. By the time you hit the 260F Freesoul mentioned you will have effectively gotten rid of any residual methanol as well as have sterilized the glycerine for soap making.

The whole process is much simpler with a recovery still. Mine can be seen here. and if you need to know how to build a condenser I have that too here.

**the above is for educational purposes only due to the fact that I cannot be held liable for you not taking every step necessary and that each batch is individual and cannot be treated at a distance. You must be the one who is ultimately responsible for your product.**

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know how it works out.

posted Hide Post
Legal, with your recovery still, what element and voltage do you use to get the temps to 260F? Do you recirculate your glycerine? My recovery still is a 50 gallon electric water heater with a 4000 watt x 220v wired to 110. I demeth 30 gallons at a time and it takes about 10 hours to pull about 6-7 gallons of methanol out. At that time, the methanol is just a small drip and the temp of the glycerin is 180F but won't seem to go any higher. Is it okay to rewire the element to 220v? I am concerned about the glycerin scorching.

posted Hide Post
I have a simple pot still. It uses a 220V element on 115V current. I only load about 32L at a time into it and let 'er run until all I get is a very light dripping trickle out of the collection tube. When it is operating at full temp I have a steady stream of recovered methanol coming out of the condenser tube.

The head thermometer tells me the steam stream is steady at 150-152F and when I temp the glyc it is between 260-264F.

I do not circulate as the volume I have isn't enough to worry about it. If I have larger volumes then I would hook up a pump to circulate and keep a thermometer at both the pump outlet and the steam stream head.

**the above is for educational purposes only due to the fact that I cannot be held liable for you not taking every step necessary and that each batch is individual and cannot be treated at a distance. You must be the one who is ultimately responsible for your product.**

HTH

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried increasing the surface area of the glycerin?

Place the glycerin in a large cake pan, put it on top of an electric grill and cook? Higher surface area should allow the trapped methanol to escape easier.

I can't imagine it would be too hard to put another metal pan on top of it, drill a hole and add a plumber's delight if you want to try and catch the methanol or a bubbler to see if methanol is pushing out.

Once I get the opportunity I am going to put one of these together. It doesn't sound too tough and should cut down on the time needed to demeth the glycerin.

posted Hide Post
Do it outside.