BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Soap from the Glycerine by-product    Technical question from an 11yr old!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Technical question from an 11yr old!
 Login/Join

posted
My daughter wants to help make some soap for her class.

She wants to know why blue soap(like dawn) makes white bubbles? And will Glycerine(brown) make white or brown bubbles?

I never thought about it. kids gota lovem.

Thanks Bax

Ci siamo persi!
Not lost now!
Getting to where I need to be!

Location: SC | Registered: November 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reason soap suds are white is that they are mostly water and the bubbles are extremely thin. When light hits the bubbles it scatters and that is why it's white vs. being transparent. Actually you can see the light scattered when you see a rainbow in the bubbles.

Soaps at higher concentrations can start showing color as there is more soap in the bubble. You will notice that once our liquid soap is near a 50:50 ratio soap:water, even our liquid soap bubbles will be white in nature.

Our bubbles are brown at higher concentrations of soap because the fatty acids in the soap are dark in color due to the fact that they have been used in cooking.

As you add other ingredients to our soaps, both bar and liquid the lather will shift towards white. This is because of the absence of color in most fatty acids. This is more apparent with pure fatty acids, tallow, lard, coconut oil and palm kernel oil. Some of the other softer oils such as corn oil, castor oil and canola oil will shift slightly towards a yellow to tan color.

In short higher concentrations of soaps will start to carry color into the lather. Most of the liquid being made from our glycerin is not diluted because it starts to get really thin so the soap concentration is really high.

However the thinned liquid BDG soap can be thickened as I have mentioned and shown many times on this forum. Once our BDG soap is at or above 50% water the lather will most likely be white.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank Legal and Rick.

Rick that was very informative. I think she will understand the rainbow/light passing through the suds. And that only a small amount of soap is being used.

I was going to tell her magic Big Grin

Thanks again!
Bax

Ci siamo persi!
Not lost now!
Getting to where I need to be!

Location: SC | Registered: November 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post