BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Soap from the Glycerine by-product    Making soap from pretreat glycerin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making soap from pretreat glycerin
 Login/Join

posted
I have some glycering that I used to pre-treat the oil. I was wondering whether to run it through a full methanol recovery, or to just heat it to drive what's left in it off - assuming that there's so little methanol in it that the recovery process wouldn't be worth it.

I also have some demethanoled glycerin(at least as good as my current setup can get it(simple system - no vacuum) that's been sitting around for a month or so(sealed containers). It's mostly solid(NaOH based), but it has a 2" liquid layer on top of it. I wasn't expecting that. The liquid is real dark like glycerin, but has a viscosity of BD. Any thoughts on whether its just 'lighter' glycerin, or is a methanol loaded glycerin layer?

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The liquid is real dark like glycerin, but has a viscosity of BD. Any thoughts on whether its just 'lighter' glycerin, or is a methanol loaded glycerin layer?

My guess is its biodiesel. I always see a layer of biodiesel on top of my glycerin after it sits for a few months...
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jon. It had already sat around a couple of months before I demethed it, and figured all the BD was already out. Then after demething, it didn't solidify as quickly as I thought it would.

Anybody have any thoughts on the pretreat glycerin?

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What you have is definitely biodiesel floating on top. We always pre-treat and then at a later stage tap off the biodiesel from the top of the glycerine. In the past we have always added it to the next batch, but might now try testing to see if it passes and if it does then just add it to the bulk bio tank, although, that said, it does help quite a lot to lower the titration values. Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump.

Still some unanswered questions here.

I'm curious about the methanol content in the pretreat glyc as well.

2005 Duramax