BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Soap from the Glycerine by-product    MSDS For Biodiesel Glycerin Soap?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MSDS For Biodiesel Glycerin Soap?
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone ever seen an MSDS sheet for Biodiesel Glycerin Soap?

I had someone email me looking for an MSDS for Biodiesel Glycerin Soap.
Sounds like they're getting ready to start producing & selling the stuff but need an MSDS for what they'll be making.

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems it would be very hard to come up with one, given the wide variety of ingredients that could wind up in any given batch -- not to mention inherent variation in the quality and content of the biodiesel glycerin they are starting from. It isn't at all like the MSDS sheets for individual ingredients we use in making biodiesel, such as methanol, NaOH, etc. I have no idea how you even begin to approach that one!

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
That's kind of what I was thinking too....
I'd love to see if there's ever been one made for it.
-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More

posted Hide Post
I figured that might be the case.
I couldn't even imagine all the stuff that would have to go into one to make it universally acceptable. So many oils....

I'll pass the word on to her.

Thanks,
Graydon

posted Hide Post
When fully saponified our BDG soap will contain glycerin and several of the fatty acid soaps.

If you work out a SAP value for your BDG you can be certain that any saponifiable element such as biodiesel has been converted to soap. This is really important if you don't want to be superfatting your soap with biodiesel. Also in most cases the soaps from thefatty acids will be harder than the oil or biodiesel. A SAP is also important so you can be sure you do not make caustic hot soaps.

If you know the root oils used to make your biodiesel you can work out what soaps are in the soap.

Hopefully Greg from Arbor can chime in and give us a rundown on what it takes to make up an MSDS sheet. I know he has some experience in doing that.

But in the end if you have fully saponified your glycerin using a SAP value you can be fairly sure all that you have are fatty acid salts (soaps) and glycerin.

This is true for the processes of adding whole oils and fatty acids. Using either of those methods will be adding fatty acid salts and also glycerin if you are using whole oil ingredients.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post