BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Soap from the Glycerine by-product    Adding oatmeal or corn meal to bar soap??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adding oatmeal or corn meal to bar soap??
 Login/Join

posted
I've been expirementing with adding either oatmeal or corn meal and exfoliators to my bar soap. It seems to just settle to the bottom of my mold. Is there something you are supposed to add with it to suspend the oatmeal or corm meal throughout the bar of soap? This is only my 4th batch of soap so please be easy on me 8)

Dave

posted Hide Post
BIO,

With the thin viscosity of BDG soap when it's a bit difficult to incorporate exfoliate. However if you add some traditional ingredients to thicken your soap broth and cold process the mix you can achieve the same results as traditional soapers do.

If you hot process with a high ratio of traditional ingredients you will want to use sodium lactate to keep the soap manageable.

Another idea that might work would be to make a mold out of 3" PVC and use rubber test caps on both sides, fill the PVC right to the top and rotate as the soap gels.

I've found that a 20% stearic/myristic/lauric acid, 20% lard or tallow and 60% NaOH BDG will make a good cold process batch. The soap will be nice and firm with loads of lather. It should also suspend your exfoliate better. You can substitute coconut oil or palm kernel oil for the fatty acid mix.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rick-

Thanks for the reply. I guess I still have a $HIT TON of reading to do! I have know idea what the items you mentioned are let along where to buy them?? I thought soap making was supposed to be easy hahaha.

Dave

posted Hide Post
The KNC Soap Calculator might help you along the way.

It's actually pretty easy to make soap, especially with just BDG is really easy. BDG is actually already soap. It's just an undersaponified unbalanced soap.

You can simply add enough caustic to finish saponification or you can decide to add some traditional ingredients to help balance the soap. Adding lather or hardness to bar soap and adding lather to liquid soap.

Keep at it, it will come to you!

Happy Soaping Smile

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always been interested in making soap, thanks for the link Rick. I hope the book can get me going Smile

Brian Rodgers

Home of the biodiesel drinking bears.
2005 Jeep Liberty, 2003 VW Jetta TDI
1992 Dodge Dually Cummins Peirce Arrow Dumpbed
http://www.outfitnm.com

Location: Northeastern New Mexico | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post