BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Soap from the Glycerine by-product    Danger of setting "the soaping community" as a standard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Danger of setting "the soaping community" as a standard
 Login/Join

posted
As many know, the mainstream cosmetics industry, and also many of the so-called soap makers who use many of the same ingredients, are pretty much self governed and as such do not always have our best interest at heart (they are more interested in the profit line) when using ingredients that are of a seriously questionable nature. The following points that out:
[quote]
Toxic mercury found in lotions and cosmetics

Some skin creams, soaps and lotions marketed across the US might contain toxic amounts of mercury, warns the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Press TV – The federal health agency has issued a statement saying that 35 potentially poisonous products have been found in at least seven states that contain high levels of the toxic metal Mercury.

All the named goods include those made abroad and sold illegally in the US as skin lightener, anti-aging, antiseptic and anti-wrinkle, said national health fraud coordinator in the FDA’s Office of Regulatory Affairs Gary Coody.

The products include some sold by the brands Diana, Stillman’s, Lusco and Crema Aguamary which are usually marketed illegally in shops or online.

“Many of these products are coming into the country through channels we can’t easily track, such as international mail and personal baggage,” Coody said. “That’s why it’s so important for consumers and sellers to know about the dangers of possible mercury poisoning associated with the use of these skin products.”

Mercury is highly toxic and can cause severe health consequences in adults, children and even unborn babies. Long term exposure to the toxic metal can damage kidneys, the nervous system and affect brain development of fetuses.

Short-term exposure can cause dizziness, vomiting, headache, tremors, changes to vision or hearing, irritability, depression, numbness and tingling in hands, feet or around the mouth, said FDA experts warning that even inhaling the contaminated products can be harmful.

The FDA recommended consumers read the product label and avoid those containing chemicals including mercurous chloride, mercuric, mercurio or mercury. source
[quote/]

And hence the dangers of not doing your own research and depending solely upon the long standing practices of these self governed entities as a standard. They may be accepted by some as "experts" but clearly the only thing they are expert at is deception and falsehoods and it is peoples' health that is at risk. Know the source of your information.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bit of a doom and gloom fear mongering article. I am more afraid of ingesting mercury through tuna and fish.

Again, an article that sees small amounts of a substance and then gives you the MSDS treatment of the worst case symptoms for high dosage.

If we wanted to be critical we could write an article about trace level methanol found in biodiesel soaps and list all the symptoms for heavy methanol ingestion.

Im not totally discrediting article, just being critical.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, although these articles just keep on showing up on a regular basis, too often for it to be just happenstance. And it is no secret the so-called beauty and cosmetics industry (including modernist soap making) is a self regulated industry.

A group of congress critters actually got together and wanted to reign them in but don't know if that ever got anywhere, lobbying being what it is. The point is to make people aware that you just cannot take someone's word for it when there are serious questions afoot, which is why personal research is always a good practice.

I don't set the boxed cake mix people as the standard for what a baker is either. Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines may have started out on the right path, but then along the way things took a wrong turn, making health concerns a back burner affair in favour of profitability. Same deal with mainstream cosmetics and beauty care products.

Campaign for safe cosmetics

Dangerous chemicals in personal hygiene products

And this doesn't cover the hidden questionable ingredients used to make up the product which do not have to be listed.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reece123:
Bit of a doom and gloom fear mongering article. I am more afraid of ingesting mercury through tuna and fish.

And you would have a pretty good point if it wasn't for the fact that the mercury in fish is a well known fact making for an "informed choice". You eat fish once in a while were a lot of women put on cosmetics daily.. (even hourly?)
On the whole, I do agree though that there is probably more mercury in fish but I'm not an expert on the subject.

quote:

Again, an article that sees small amounts of a substance and then gives you the MSDS treatment of the worst case symptoms for high dosage.
If we wanted to be critical we could write an article about trace level methanol found in biodiesel soaps and list all the symptoms for heavy methanol ingestion.

I think your analogy is messed up on this one. Methanol will eventually leave your system in fairly short order but Mercury will stay there and just accumulate over many many years.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Murphy:

I think your analogy is messed up on this one.

Wouldnt be the first time!

posted Hide Post
Could it be that Legal Eagle is saying in under tones that it's a good idea to stick it to the rendering companies and cosmetics companies by making your own soap and ensure that 80% of the WVO collected by rendering companies should not be imported and kept for use in the US instead?

I know I'm looking forward to soap making when I finally stop being lazy and make my own biodiesel. Yes I will have a pile of glycerin, but that is alright. At least I'll never run out of soap!

Location: Columbus, GA, USA | Registered: September 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
At least I'll never run out of soap!

For over 7 years that has been the case here. The last one to go was laundry soap a couple years ago. The savings alone have been substantial, not to mention the fact that a bunch of unsavory chemicals from detergents don't end up injected into the environment any longer.

Making your own soap is not a complicated matter and can be quite simple and economical on time as well depending on what factors are at play and what you want to get as an end product. IE: if you process canola oil with KOH the resultant glycerine layer, once demethed, lends itself to liquid soap with extreme ease. Basically just add a bit more caustic and water with essential oil and you are done. You can make a boat load in less than a couple hours with the right equipment. If you then decide to turn that into a small business by personally going out and developing a niche market you will soon realize that your by product is now funding your main hobby of making biodiesel in a big way thus considerably lowering your fuel costs; all this and you have not really done anything substantially supplemental other than working what you already have at hand from making biodiesel.

Try this and get hooked forever: make a few test batches of biodiesel with used cooking oil and save the glycerine layer aside. Make sure it settles out any biodiesel and siphon that off. Now demeth the glycerine (you can do this on a hot plate outside). When it has cooled to just over more-than-warm add 40gr of KOH along with 200ml water PER liter of glycerine in that proportion and 15ml essential oil only proportionate to a 4L batch of soap and you are done. Allow to cure for a week or two (2 is better) and you now have the world's best liquid soap suitable for body, hair, dishes, laundry and yes also bathroom scrub for tub and tile as well as a few other inventive applications. Unlike commercial companies who want you to buy a different product for every conceivable application a good soap will accomplish all these tasks and then some and all without causing you or your environment harm.

The main danger in setting up the so-called "soaping community" which are nothing but an offshoot of the cosmetics industry's methodologies, as any sort of standard is that these entities care not about what is and what is not a health concern or in some cases an outright health hazard and flog off their junk upon an unsuspecting public who is by and large uneducated (and these guys sure aren't going to be the ones doing the educating) and trusting that what they are getting is not going to backdoor some health problem for them. It is a matter of moral fortitude and doing what is right against what is only profitable and "commercially appealing".

If you want junk "soap" there is more than plenty of sources for that, but for the real thing make your own.

posted Hide Post
Some more fun stuff from the "standard" in personal hygiene products:

http://naturalfertilitybreakth...aking-you-infertile/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/hea...ale-infertility.html

When people tell me (and some here have) that they don't have a single trepidation about exposing their children to this junk it makes me wonder what they will happily expose YOUR children to and not consider the potential ramifications.

posted Hide Post
Now some of things I post here have absolutely nothing to do with soap making except that in the context of how Big Pharma will put complete junk that has not been properly tested out there and not say a word about it until the side effects of their poisons start becoming apparent (then they might do a re-call if they can't skate the issue).

One more such example is in the
When Pigs Fly vaccine that so many were sucked into getting.

The point being that one should not automatically trust and believe whatever these cosmetics and pharmaceutical manufacturers shove at us as being safe and of no health concern without personally doing some serious research of our own, and better still, avoid their junk altogether due to their proven track record of putting one over on us. The so-called modernist "soaping community" is nothing more than an offshoot of what the pharma and cosmetics industry have stated are safe products to use for you and your family's personal hygiene. Do you really want to trust them ? I certainly don't.