BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Soap from the Glycerine by-product    How Much Soap Have You Made?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Much Soap Have You Made?
 Login/Join

posted
Just curious to see how much soap everyone's made to date.
If you would, share what types of soaps you've made and if possible an estimate of how much.

Myself
- I made some soap way back in 2003 with Jack Jones (the guy that taught me to make Biodiesel)
- Here's some pictures of that soap...
- http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/images/soap/
(there's pictures of the stuff from 2003 along with some pictures of the soap I sell from Piedmont in that directory, but you'll get the idea)
This one was the most popular one Jack made:

- I also recently made 40 bars of soap from one of Rick K's soap making kits.
- I've been absolutely AMAZED by them and ended up giving all but 4 bars away to people to try
- I'm still showering with bars I made from this batch as of this posting
Here's pictures of us making the soap:
http://www.utahbiodieselsupply...eries/soapmakingkit/

Tim
- Here's pictures of some of his samples of liquid & bar soaps.
http://biodieselpictures.com/viewtopic.php?t=690
- If I had to guess, Tim is well into the 1,000's on soap bars.
- He's also made several gallons of liquid soap too. If I had to guess, probably well over 100 gallons of the stuff.
- I've posted about Tim before on here.
- He's what really gave me the jump start to start seriously considering soap from the glycerin
- He's continuing to make soap like crazy.
- He's used it for all sorts of purposes, regularly gives bars & jars of liquid soap away to people to try, and is now starting to delve into selling it as well
- Lately he's experimenting with formula's for making a carpet cleaner liquid soap for a friend

So, I'd love to hear how much soap you've all been making & what you've thought of it.

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well...since the simplest form of KOH liquid soap is to just remove the methanol from the by-product, I'd say I've made about 250 gallons. I've used up about 30 gals of it already, which I think isn't too bad.

I've actually bottled and given out about 5 gals worth of samples, and bottled about another 10gal for my own use. The rest is still in bulk storage awaiting bottling.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've made a couple hundred bars from NaOH processed oils, with varying degrees of success. Some have been great and others have been terrible -- especially when I was brand new at the soap thing.

I've made 20-30 gallons of biodiesel glycerin liquid soap, from KOH processed oils. Scenting has been an issue for me, among others. I don't mind the brown color, but some people hate it.

I've also made about 5-8 gallons of whole oil liquid soap using KOH. I've found that my stick blender -- necessary to get trace in less than an hour or two -- beats a TON of air into the soap. Over a six-week or so period, the bubbles slowly (incredibly slowly) migrate out and leave a more translucent soap instead of a whipped-looking soap. I've had much better luck scenting and coloring these soaps, since the inherent brown of the biodiesel glycerin is not present. That said, the soaps are not as good because they are lacking that glycerin.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
Kind of lost count...

Bar - several thousand.

Liquid hand/shower - 300 to 400 gallons.

Laundry - 30 to 40 gallons.

Hard Surface Cleaner - 5 to 10 gallons. (new project)

Exfoliating cream/garage cream - 30 gallons or so.

Shaving cream - 1 gallon.

Caustic Degreaser - 10 to 15 gallons.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes Graydon you are right on the amounts.
I think I am just starting to get bizzy angain
for the winter so production will get crazy.
I will post when I get new loads.

Tim

posted Hide Post
I've been just dabbling for 4 yrs. and made enough to keep the household in soap and give some away.
I really wish I had someone to take that part of the process and run with it. The liquid soap is fast and easy. I use a lot of KOH in my BD process. The hard soap I make from the NAOH glyc. and usually add some lard for stiffening.
Ricks book has been a big help too, along with Legal eagle's book.

The soap is great. Even when I screw up a batch it's still good soap, just not too marketable.

Try it u'll like it!

Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I can't agree more... The worst soap is still better than the best commercial soap...
I think it is very marketable...

I am awaiting some coloring ingredients that might make a significant difference in marketability.

Bob,
You might try adding coconut oil and lard. The coconut oil is actually a better hardener and will add tons of lather. Not too much or you can start to get some drying effects.

I've recently worked out a formula for calculating how much of an ingredient is needed to harden and perform glycerin negation. It takes more whole oil ingredients but you can get the same effects as the fatty acids, you just need more. I've know that, but now I'm close to being able to reliably predict the end result.

The general liquid is quick and easy, but you can also add ingredients to the liquid for some specialty soaps.

If anyone is having any issues please put them out here and we will try to work them out. I've had several people send me their glycerin recently to see what is best for them. Everyone's glycerin can be slightly different in hardness and I've even seen negative SAP percentages... I am working on a way to do a negative SAP calculation to know how much of a neutralizer, whole oil or fatty acid is needed.

We have really only scratched the surface of the types of soaps we can make from our glycerin. I firmly believe that we can re-produce any soap on the market and make it better and make it cheaper.

Happy Soaping!

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post