Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAP test questions
 Login/Join

posted
I was doing my first sap test using the knicenclean multi jar method and was wondering about results.
I made three jars up with distilled and my bdg and added 15, 20, and 25 ml of solution stirred good and cooked @ 200f for 2 hours.
PH was 10.20, 10.32, and 10.44
added 2ml to 25ml batch to make 27
added 9 to 20ml batch to make 29
added 16 to 15ml to make 31
stirred good and cooked again. now PH of all three samples was in between 10.63 and 10.71 with the 31ml batch being the lowest PH of all.
Is this normal? I'm confused

Bio production since 12/10/07
House on B100
01 Excursion on B100 warm weather - B50 cold weather.

Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I duuno about the calculator there but I have one posted to my website that is a stand alone (doesn't require additional software to work) download.

You can find it here - Universal SAP Calculator.

It was written by members who post to this forum.

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cobbler,

What you see it exactly what you should see. This test is to determine a usable SAP for your BDG. It can also be used for any other fat or oil if you like or need to. One example would be if you were going to filter and use some of the oil you use for your biodiesel.

Now use the ml count from the jar with the highest pH and subtract 1. This will be your SAP number.

All you need to do now is use the KNC Soap Calculator to determine how much caustic to use. Select BDG from the drop down list and select your ml count from the drop down list in the SAP column. At this point you can also select other Traditional Soap ingredients such as Coconut oil, Palmn Kernel oil, Lard, Tallow, Stearic Acid etc.

Coconut oil (CO) and Palm Kernel oil (PKO) will add hardness and lather. Lard and Tallow will add some hardness but not the kind of lather that CO or PKO will add. Stearic acid, and the other flaked fatty acids will all add hardness with myristic and lauric adding lather as well.

With the KNC Soap Calculator you will be able to create some awesome soap recipes. I have a several "starter" recipes on my website to help the BDG soaper community get going.

If you go to my website, http://www.knicenclean.com/ you will find a wealth of information I have compiled to help the Biodiesel Soaping community get rolling on making soap from their BDG.

The Knice-N-Clean website contains the largest collection of Biodiesel Soaping information on the internet. Tons more information to come soon too, Glycerin Ratio test, Making soap from the "True Soaps" obtained after biodiesel methanol reclamation, and a bar calculator that will help you predict the hardness in your soap. Stay Tuned!!

Happy Soaping!

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rick, got a couple of questions for you: 1)What do you charge for a SAP test of BDG? 2)What should the pH of the NaOH/water solution(per your recipe) used in the SAP test be? I ask the latter because I think either I screwed up making the solution, or my pH meter was off despite reading correctly in the calibration solutions. I got a reading of just under 11 for the solution.

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernhardt:
Rick, got a couple of questions for you: 1)What do you charge for a SAP test of BDG? 2)What should the pH of the NaOH/water solution(per your recipe) used in the SAP test be? I ask the latter because I think either I screwed up making the solution, or my pH meter was off despite reading correctly in the calibration solutions. I got a reading of just under 11 for the solution.

Bernhardt,

I currently am not charging for SAP testing, If you like email me or pm me and we can arragen for you to send some to me.
I will get a pH reading of the SAP solution and let you know.

Happy Soaping! Smile

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rick. I've been preoccupied the last month with other stuff. Had a prechamber insert on a 1.6l VW diesel(Golf) crack, break and hammer the cylinder head & piston. I had just rebuilt the engine a couple of years and ~12k ago. Decided to buy another vehicle(got an 87 Mercedes 300td) so I could take my time fixing it. Had to dig & fertilize my Hops plants - I have rhizomes for sale on e-bay(user name of crazybernhardt). Then of course I had to go skiing. I didn't realize its been a month since I've hit any of my blog sites!

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post