Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't eat the soap!
 Login/Join

posted

Location: Middle Tennessee, Jack Daniel's country | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too funny Jim... Mine hard bars look like the ones on the right...

================
- 05 Duramax on Bio
- 02 VW Jetta TDI on Bio

Location: Sweet Home Alabama | Registered: February 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG! They totally look like browies and apple crumb bars!

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its not too late to pull an April Fool's Day joke on somebody, is it? Got anybody you want to see eat soap?? Eek

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the brownies on a paper plate last week. My 4 year old walked up to me with the plate and asked if he could have one...
We took one and used it to wash his hands. It was the only way to convince him that it was not food, short of letting him eat one.

The crumb bars are scented with apple cinnamon oil so they also smell like food.

-Jim

Location: Middle Tennessee, Jack Daniel's country | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The crumb bars are scented with apple cinnamon oil so they also smell like food.

OK, that's just EVIL! (or HIGHLY effective as that April Fool's Day joke...)

posted Hide Post
These are my first and third batches of soap. I have no idea why they came out the way they did. Heck, I'm not sure I could repeat them if I tried! The apple cinnamon scent is just a good one for dark looking/brown soap. It just worked out great. The crumb look on the top came from bad math. I shorted the batch NaOH and water on accident. That allowed unreacted glycerin to collect on the bottom. It drained away when I took them out leaving behind the crumb look.

-Jim

posted Hide Post
Wink dont you hate those people that all ways want to sample what ever your eating... let them eat that hehehe

Location: Pittslyvania County | Registered: February 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The crumb look on the top came from bad math. I shorted the batch NaOH and water on accident. That allowed unreacted glycerin to collect on the bottom. It drained away when I took them out leaving behind the crumb look.

Does the crumb have a different texture...maybe rougher? If it did, I would try do it like that everytime, it would be a dual-texture scrubbing soap for hands, maybe laudry stains, whatever.

posted Hide Post
OK Jim, how did you get the color to lighten?
That would be a pretty good joke to pull on someone, Big Grin watch their face as they bite into one! Eek

2001 & 2002 F-250 PSD CC Superduty Running On Homebrew!

Location: Mississippi | Registered: April 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No idea why it was lighter. The other thread talks about how they all were made. I need to document what I did on both is a single post. Just not right now...

-Jim

posted Hide Post
It turns out it is not so much a question of why the 3rd batch was lighter. The first two batches are dark chocolate black because I added COCO POWDER! Duh! Don'tca just hate it when your mother-in-law points out the obvious!

-Jim

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim D:
The first two batches are dark chocolate black because I added COCO POWDER! -Jim

Man, you were making those bars tempting, weren't you? Big Grin

2001 & 2002 F-250 PSD CC Superduty Running On Homebrew!

Location: Mississippi | Registered: April 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just trying to make them smell better. The best I got out of my daughter was that they "don't smell like poo" before I started using the scented oils. Now they smell pretty good.

-Jim

posted Hide Post
Hey Jim!

I see where you are from...have you tried adding JD to the soap? The color is about right and it might just sell!!

Bob

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heck, they have Jack everything else why not! What I would really be looking for is the smell of Jack Daniels. I wonder if they have a waste product that has a strong smell component...

Great excuse to take the tour again and talk to them.

-Jim

posted Hide Post
quote:
Heck, they have Jack everything else why not! What I would really be looking for is the smell of Jack Daniels. I wonder if they have a waste product that has a strong smell component...

Great excuse to take the tour again and talk to them.

-Jim

The oak barrels. I've hauled some before to a Mesquite BBQ place,and when you open the doors to the trailer it almost knocks you over.No open flames please.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You know, if trying the "April Fool's " thing it might take a minute for the reaction to register, the soap is quite sweet (high glycerine content and all that), which is why ruminants (cows,sheep ect) love the stuff,glyceriene that is.
The light coloured crumble looking one will probably lather exceptionally well.But they most definetly do look eatable.JD soap .... hmmm, good plan.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The barrels are sold and shipped to England I believe. I'll ask on the tour.

-Jim

posted Hide Post
quote:
The barrels are sold and shipped to England I believe. I'll ask on the tour.

-Jim

See if they don't have a busted barrel. You can then use the oak from it to make some molds.