BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Soap from the Glycerine by-product    how to substitute glycerine for whole oils
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how to substitute glycerine for whole oils
 Login/Join

posted
My girlfriend and I are starting to get into the soap making hobby and I was wondering what whole oils or carrier oils are similar in properties to our bd glycerine? I've done a couple of the Knice n Clean soap kits so I know the glycerine is moisturizing and/or conditioning, so I could
anly sub the "conditioning" oils for the glycerine or vice versa? I'd like to use the glycerine as a part of a soap recipe and not the main ingredient.

Location: Washington,PA | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butter,
You absolutely can use BDG as just an additive.
You can use a basic Castile soap recipe and just add our BDG accounting for the SAP value.

Here is an example -- I used the KNC SAP Calculator and a 25% BDG SAP value.

55oz Olive Oil
30oz Coconut Oil
15oz Biodiesel Glycerin (BDG) (25% SAP)

Caustic Solution:
13.58oz NaOH
28oz Distilled water

That is the beauty of having a SAP value for your BDG. Now you can use it as just another ingredient in your soaping arsenal.

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To further answer the question about substituting BDG for the conditioning oils... The answer is yes, you can directly replace the conditioning oils with BDG again using the SAP value to fully sapoinify the BDG.

Take this common soap recipe.

44oz Soybean oil
25oz Olive Oil
16oz Coconut Oil

Caustic Solution:
12oz NaOH
24oz Distilled water

The BDG recipe replacing the conditioning oils and assuming 25% SAP value would be

44oz Biodiesel Glycerin (BDG) (25% SAP)
25oz Olive Oil
16oz Coconut Oil

Caustic Solution:
7.92oz NaOH
18oz Distilled water

-Rick

http://www.knicenclean.com your single-most largest free BDG soaping content on the internet.
SAP Testing, Ingredient Properties, Soap Glossary and Recipes just to name a few.

Making Biodiesel Byproduct Soap Learn how to use your biodiesel byproducts to make great bar and liquid soap!!!

"Closing the loop on biodiesel production one bar at a time!"

Beware of the Dunning–Kruger effect.

Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rick, you gave me the answer I was hoping to get. We might be making soap this weekend and we're trying to get all our ingredients together so this info definitely helps.

Location: Washington,PA | Registered: December 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post