BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Soap from the Glycerine by-product    Gluten in glycerin or soap?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gluten in glycerin or soap?
 Login/Join

posted
I was just posed this very interesting question about our soap- would it be considered gluten free?

I know that gluten is a protein that is found in soy oil or in foods that are cooked in the oil. Does transesterification have any effect in removing gluten? What about the distillation at temps over 260F?

We have gotten the question in the past about whether our soap is vegan, knowing there are all different levels of being a vegan from eating eggs to not eating anything that has been cooked in a pan that meat has ever been cooked in, I like to say it is 99% vegan. Not so sure about the gluten though.

posted Hide Post
Wow, no replies? Not even conjecture?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Gluten (from Latin gluten, "glue") is a protein composite found in foods processed from wheat and related grain species, including barley and rye.

If you're not adding grains to your soap, there shouldn't be any gluten present.

If people are not eating the soap why would gluten even be a problem? IMHO the anti-gluten thing is just another foodie fad. People who have allergies have compromised immune systems, so many things can trigger reactions.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes some people are gluten sensitive. There isn't any in glycerin soap with the possible exception of trace amounts which might have been in the flour coating on the foods cooked in the oil. If someone is that sensitive then they probably should live in a sterile bubble.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have discovered there is a company that makes test kits for gluten and at $25 for 2 tests its not that expensive, I think I am going to order them just to confirm. I don't believe there is gluten in the soap, my wife is very sensitive to gluten- so much so that she had some chili that I dipped some bread in and she got a rash. Our soap has never affected her.