Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glycerine Color
 Login/Join

posted
I've been using my Lye glycerine for weed killer, but I'm looking at trying my hand at making soap again.

I get about 2-3 gallons of gIycerine per batch of Bio. I cook (about 1 gal at a time) my gylcerine till it gets to 250-260deg. to meth. Sometime higher if I get distracted. When it cools, sometimes it is dark brown, sometimes it's a light tan.

Why the difference and which is better for making soap?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MC-Professor,

Shannon
81'Merc 300D (B100)
99 Dodge Ram 2500 (Cummins) (WMO/Bio)

Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The colour is not that important, just the result of what base feedstock is. The recipe is the same, however depending on the feedstock it may or may not be necessary to use a binding agent, such as lard (pig fat).
If you are using NaOH and a hydrogenated oil or some other long chain oil you do not need the lard. just 30grNaOH and 200ml liquid along with the essential oil of your choice (I use 15ml per 4 L batch).

Give me the exact feedstock, and assuming it has been processed using NaOH and I can give you a specific on it.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use vegetable oil from the local American Legion, We use it 3 or 4 times for cooking wings, fries, or fish. So far it has always trirated at 0.6.

Shannon
81'Merc 300D (B100)
99 Dodge Ram 2500 (Cummins) (WMO/Bio)

Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post