BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Making Soap from the Glycerine by-product    Why I harp on natural ingredients
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why I harp on natural ingredients
 Login/Join

posted
The following article, among many others, depicts why I have harped on using only natural ingredients in soap making and not falling prey to the easy route of using unnecessary chemicals and synthetics. Most "additives" have more than dubious negative health effects, fact that has attempted to be obfuscated by those promoting the "Betty Crocker" approach to biodiesel glycerine soap making.

Dove, anything but natural

Keep yourself and your family safe from this by staying 100% natural, even if sometimes it takes more effort and may even cost a fraction more.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So it can be said that your soapbox is composed of wholly natural materials.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
"soapbox" Wahahaha, that's funny ... the only chems I use are those absolutely necessary in the saponification process (NaOH, KOH), which are completely neutralized in the soap making.

You can get a 100% natural soap by hanging around forensic investigators; it is called "grave wax" or when the fat from a corpse buried in a shallow grave in a hardwood environment where there has been a fire turning the ash into KOH and then the rain does the rest. Fat(acid) + catalyst (KOH/NaOH) + liquid (water) = soap. Or you could do like the pioneers did and make your own caustic using hard wood ash steeped in rain water and strained and added to pork fat.

The problem is in using additional chems and/or synthetics which are NOT neutralized and end up causing health problems rather than helping to solve them.

Have a nice day

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
Or you could do like the pioneers did and make your own caustic using hard wood ash steeped in rain water and strained and added to pork fat.

Luc -- this is exactly how I originally learned it, in a public elementary school outdoors program over thirty years ago! I've learned a few things since, including quite a lot from your Guide.

Cheers, John