BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Volkswagen TDI's    Any way to decrease heat up time in a TDI?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any way to decrease heat up time in a TDI?
 Login/Join

posted
I converted two TDI's: 06 Golf and 03 Jetta. Both are working fine but I was wondering if there was a way to get the cars to heat up faster other than using a TDI heater? It was suggested to try a high heat thermostat but I wasn't able to find one that was rated much higher than the stock thermostat. Thanks, Chris

Location: West Chazy, NY | Registered: April 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is a FPHE? I have a plug in TDI heater on both cars but only use in winter and doesn't help much for drive home from work. What is cheaper the diesel to heat up the car or the electricity to preheat the engine? Windsolar

Location: West Chazy, NY | Registered: April 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Assuming you have a 1000 watt TDIHeater and heat for less than an hour, thats 1000 watt hours or 1 kwhr, about 20 cents these days.
Diesel will be about the same 1/10 of a gallon or 25 cents.

FPHE is a Flat Plate Heat Exchanger, the current standard for heating up the fuel with coolant.
Not sure what your PlantDrive is, but it's deficient if it doesn't have one.
Have you measured the temperature of the injection pump when fully warmed up?
Should be 150-170*F.

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, my plantdrive systems are based on a vegtherm that heats the svo just before the oil hits the injectors. I also have a 10kw solar array and electricty is essentially free for me so plugging in for an hour seems the way to go. windsolar

posted Hide Post
windsolar,

That's good news on the solar powered electricity.
But you plantdrive must have some other form of fuel heating other than the vegtherm.
You should find out what it is and measure the i.p. temperature before you drive another mile!

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a total system, Hot Fox, with Veg Therm and VO control system. works fine I was just looking for ways to decrease heat up time. Thanks, windsolar.

posted Hide Post
grille block, park inside, keep the heat off till up to temp, etc.

Location: Mito, Japan | Registered: November 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grill block could buy you as much as 15F in the winter.

upgrade your veg-therm to the Mega perhaps?

I have a 99 TDI, I use a heated tank, and a coolant heated filter housing in the engine bay, then I have a veg-therm (non mega even) And if I flip the veg-therm switch immediately after starting the car my fuel temps measured 8" from the IP always lead my coolant temps by at least 10F.

Living off-grid in upstate NY
--1982 240D (4spd) Dual Tank SVO
--1999 Jetta TDI Dual Tank SVO
--98 12v Cummins
--6hp Lister generator - Dual Tank SOV (for house electric/hotwater backup)

Location: Everywhere | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 99.5 Jetta TDI and it takes a while to warm up. 10-15 miles around town before it is truly up to temp when the outside temps is less than 20 degrees Fahrenheit. I have several friends with this motor and it is very normal for them to take a while to warm up in winter. Make sure the glow plugs in the coolant hose are working correctly. Some cars have them and some don't. Mine are on the drivers side of the engine sticking out of a coolant flange, three of them. They act as coolant heaters in the cold weather to help things warm up.

On the bright side, our engines are VERY efficient. This translates to far less heat generated from driving vs other diesels and any gas engine.

GotDzel
Waynesboro, Virginia

gotdzel@gmail.com

Location: Waynesboro, VA | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post