Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yanmar L48AE Compatible?
 Login/Join

posted
I recently purchased a 2kw generator with a Yanmar L48AE engine powering it. What percentage biodiesel have people run it this? Can I purchase a biodiesel compatible fuel pump or seals for this engine?

posted Hide Post
I have run 100% Bio and veg oil in mine with no issues along with straignt WMO.I tried transmission oil once and that was fine and also straight turps and kero. They run on anything.

Pulled everything down from the pump to the injector and don't remember seeing so much as an O ring let alone seals.
These aren't fragile Vehicle pumps, they are as mechanical as it gets and about as tough as nails

Run what you like, they just don't care. The only thing mine really didn't like was Diesel till I shimmed the pump out. I don't know what they are set up on but the timing was way too advanced on both of mine. I photocopied one of the copper shims onto thick, single ply cardboard and cut a couple of those and packed the pump out and it ran sweet ever since. At first sounded like something was imminent to break!

posted Hide Post
Ok, cool. I know of someone who put one of a dirt bike and ran straight WVO in it, but bio is a bit different.

It runs good on diesel and starts on the first pull when I keep it in room temperature, so I'm happy with it.

Oh, on the top of the engine, there's a level marked A and a plug marked B. This is military surplus, so those designations might be exclusive to that, but what are they for?

posted Hide Post
No idea what the A&B are exactly but the plug may be for starting.
Mine is marked "OIL" I think but it's actually a port that goes straight into the inlet. The idea is you put a squirt of oil in there to help with cold starting. IT goes straight behind the valve. I found it very handy for fitting a water injection system. Just a drip basicaly that goes into the cylinder to help eliminate any buildup from running veg oil.

Personally I find methanol or Methylated spirits works a lot better for starting than oil but a few drops of petrol or kero are also good. I rarely have used that except when changing fuel filters or running the thing dry where I want it to kick a bit to help with the air working through. Otherwise, mine start much the same summer or winter on WVO.