BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous vehicles and engines    81 Toyota SVO BioDiesel Pickup Engine Rebuild

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

81 Toyota SVO BioDiesel Pickup Engine Rebuild
 Login/Join

posted
I have an old diesel 81'Toyota Hilux converted to veggie oil. It worked fine a couple years ago but something happened to it since then, and the mechanic who checked it out recommended a complete engine swap or rebuild. I don't know exactly what is wrong with it, but I will take his word that it's beyond basic repair.

He appraised his work, along with my help, at about $3000 dollars for the parts and labor inorder to rebuild the engine. We bought the truck for that amount, and it doesn't make sense to me that we should invest another couple thousand to get it running again. I'm 16, a new driver, and am looking just to get something that would run, but I also really like the appeal of a biodiesel truck with good mileage(30mpg highway) and cheap fuel, but I don't know if it's worth the repair.

Does his appraisal seem right?
If so, is it even worth going through the repairs? Or would I just be better off buying a crappy civic as my first car?
And if I rebuilt the engine, I could in theory get another couple hundred thousand miles, or would some other dilapidated part fail early on?

I might be asking a lot from the community here, but thanks for any help.

-Max

Location: United States | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That seems a little high for a rebuild to me but I'm old and remember more reasonable pricing.

Why not check around for a rebuild kit yourself to see what the parts are worth. There's a lot to watch for when rebuilding ie crank wear and such but if it's just a set of new pistons,bearings, rings with a head rebuild you should do better than that price. that was a good solid motor in its day if the body is good it's worth considering.

they're like a diesel Jetta I think. that engine usually gos until there's no more car to pull Wink

21 years off the grid and counting

Location: Muskoka, Ont, Can | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maximo:

I might be asking a lot from the community here, but thanks for any help.

With the info you have supplied, or more to the point, NOT supplied, you may as well ask how long is a piece of string.

What miles has this thing done? Whats the condition, how will you use it, how long you intend keeping it, what would you get for it as is and whats a runner worth in the same condition over all?

This is a very old Truck.
To me it would not make much sense to put a brand new motor in the mental picture I'm getting of what this thing is likely to be. Why not have a look for a used motor and see what that is going to set you back? It's going to be a whole load cheaper than a new engine that's for sure.
You could probably also do it yourself or get some mates to help and save on Labour.
Last one of those I did which admittedly was a petrol but no different in simplicity took 90 min to get out and 2 Hours to get back in and change hoses, belts, plugs and all the other basic stuff you do.

If the thing you have was worth $3K and you dropped another $3500 on it ( it will always be more than what they quote you) you'll probably still only get $3500 for the thing if you went to sell it a week later. And it will still no doubt be a tatty, rattly, dirty hilux with a bunch of things that don't work and need fixing.

Better off to take say 1500 for the thing you might get now, add that to the 3K+ you were going to spend and look for a truck worth $4500K which will be a lot nicer no doubt than what you would have with the engine done on this one.