BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous vehicles and engines    Trucks; Best Makes and Engines to run BioDiesel

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trucks; Best Makes and Engines to run BioDiesel
 Login/Join

posted
Hello. Newbie here. I would like to purchase a full sized diesel pickup truck to run on homemade bio diesel. I have been looking at the 2005-2008 Ford F250 but not sure about running bio diesel in the 6.0 engine. I would appreciate any feedback on what specific engines would be the best choice. Brand of truck not as important than the right engine/trans. Thank you.

Question:
What full sized pickup engines will run the best on bio diesel?

Choices:
Ford 7.3, 6.0?
Dodge Cummins?
Chevy??

Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: November 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I didn't intend to make this a pole! Durn "newbies".

Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: November 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything prior to Common Rail injection is going to leave you with more "wiggle room" for fuel quality. CR requires consistently high-quality fuel. And I do my best, but I know once in a while my fuel quality drops off some due to weather, equipment flukes, available time, even math errors (but that is very rare for me).

So Ford 7.3, Cummins 12V 5.9. I don't know when Duramax went between different IP set-ups.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 6.0 Powerstroke is for the most part the last engine you want to buy. I prefer the Cummins 2003-2007 with 2006 and 2007 in the 5.9 liter size being the best.

Ford with 7.3 are good. Dodge from 1994-98 are great but really old and hard to find in good shape.

I still believe that my Jeep Liberty CRD is one of the best grease vehicles ever, but they require modification for best results(simple and cheap but REQUIRED).

Just my .02 cents worth.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your input. I have purchased a 2006 Dodge with the 5.9 engine. It has 54K miles with an extended warranty to 100K so I'm not sure if I will start biodiesel until warranty is up. Will keep learning in the meantime.

posted Hide Post
I'm actually stuck in-between the dodge and the ford. I'm really wanting to produce my own bio but I think once I purchase a truck it'll be a good push towards making my own. I need a crew cab though...

Location: Sacramento/Rancho Cordova | Registered: December 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well what they say about dodge is the motor is worth a million but the truck is worth 10 cent. I have over 200K on my GMC 2500HD cclb 4x4, last 50 on bio and most of the time at least B80 and mostly B100, cant say anything bad about her, and I am pretty careful about my bio, not perfect, just careful. Duel fuel filters, the CAT and Donaldson kit from nictane. Usually run B50 in the winter. Did replace pump but at 195K.

2006 Duramax, B100 200k Acadiana Biodiesel
US Army Retired
He that can have Patience, can have what he will
- Benjamin Franklin

Location: Hill country, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
what they say about dodge is the motor is worth a million but the truck is worth 10 cent.

Its a bit better than that if you can find a manual transmission truck.

Engine is a million.
Auto tranny is 80,000.
Manual is 250,000
Transfer case is fine
Rear axle is great
Front axle (on a 4x4) is a major PITA. Dodge hacked up a perfectly good Dana 60 on these trucks. In 150,000 miles I KNOW I have spent over $3000 on just the front axle repairs and upgrades.
Body and suspension....well, I live in the rust belt, so that's not a fair comparison. New trucks have rust on them on the showroom floor in WI.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been running my Nissan Patrol 4.2 for 2 years now on straight and sometimes 5% ULP belends with NO modifications what so ever other than an aftermarket fuel filter.
Nothing special about the filter, they are just very common on trucks and tractors hence the elements cost $6 instead of $30+ for the OEM elements.

I run no oil heating, line heaters, change over valves or other complication what so ever. I had an electric pusher pump but that clapped out and gave trouble so I took it off and discovered the thing runs better without it anyway.

The engine has just passed 578,000 KM and has never been opened up and is still running the original 23 Yo water pump.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been running my Nissan Patrol 4.2 for 2 years now on straight and sometimes 5% ULP belends with NO modifications what so ever other than an aftermarket fuel filter.

How cold does it get?

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
quote:

How cold does it get?

Mornings are Under 5 oC for at least 2 months of the year. During that time we also get sub zero temps but not every day. I started the truck 3 times last winter at -5 on straight WVO. It took a couple more cranks than usual but I suspect that was due at least in part to the battery turning the thing over more slowly.

Amazing as it is, some people seem to think that Oz is just one big desert and it never falls below 30 oC here! Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
In that warm climate I could probably do the same with my truck. Here it's below 0°C for half the year and 30 below is common. The only modification, besides the usual plug-in preheating that all vehicles have here, is the FPHE I added to the fuel system.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You should go to any Truck repair shop and ask them about which engine is best for biodiesel,They can tell you better about this.

Location: 411 Rohrer Blvd, Dayton, OH 45404 | Registered: January 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you already have your truck, i wish you the best.
My suggestion is Ford SD 7.3 late 99 to early 03.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DN,

David Norwood

2001 F350 7.3 DI purchased new by me and it is the first DI experimented with and talked about on this forum.

Updated 1/2011 Alternative Fuel User Since 2003-vo is always in my fuel. Only one fuel tank. GPI/CIM-TEK spin on filterhead and 10 micron filter. Superchip. Hutch and Harpoon mods 2010. Diesel inline filter between tank and Airtex E2236 fuel pump (rated to 110 psi).Fuel pressure gauge. HOH for fuel line heat from tank to 12v lift pump. Two 12v 36" heaters, one before add on filter and one before OEM filter.

Cool weather mixes updated 2010. 100% vo to 70°. 66% to 35°. 50% to 10°.

Location: Upstate South Carolina , USA | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard good things about the old 12v Dodge Cummins.

posted Hide Post
How much cargo capacity would a dodge cummins 5.9 can handle?

I want to build a oil collection system.
And want to buy a pipe of 5,000 liters.

Whats truck do you recommend that i can run on B100.

Able to carry 5 tons, or maybe carry 1,2 tons for my tools and pumps. And be able to tow 5 tons.

Thanks.
Eduardo G.

posted Hide Post
Its going to depend on the year; each year they try to bump up the capacity slightly. Its been pretty consistent right around 8800 lbs for a 2500 truck and 11,000 for a 3500 truck for a while.

That's total weight; truck, passengers, and cargo. The truck will be about 6000lbs, so that gives you a ton of cargo in a 2500 and about 2 tons in a 3500, roughly.

posted Hide Post
HI, I HAVE 1998 CHEV 1 TON 6.5 TURBO DIESEL RUNNING ABOUT 50 DIESEL 50 WVO. HARD TIME . TRUCK HAS A HARD TIME STARTING EVEN IN GARAGE ANY THOUGHTS? I LIVE ABOUT 20 MILES EAST OF GREEN BAY WI.

posted Hide Post
Turn off your caps lock, there's no need to shout.