BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous vehicles and engines    Just purchased '86 Jeep Cherokee Diesel...need advice...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just purchased '86 Jeep Cherokee Diesel...need advice...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hallo Venture :

I was not aware Merc offered a 5 spd manual on any of their Turbo Diesel North American cars beyond the w123/240D with a 4sp Getrag

Incidentally .. I do have an OM 602 Normally aspirated from a 93 w124 300D 2.5 in my garage - have yet to crack it open

Have only seen one geländewagen mid 80's w460 - it was out of Canada on eBay in 2001 I think

I think your biggest issue will be finding a transfer case that will mate to your front axle - unless of course you just donate all under pinning from a suitable candidate

Have you thunk on maybe going Toyota ? A mid 80's 2LT from a Toyota LN 65/LN 67 Pickup - engine parts are easily available - could score one out of BC with a very cancerous body - mechanical injection - best is being in So Cali - transmissions and axle parts are easily available at local bone yards - a bit more horsepower and torque and no fuss with trying to fit a Merc 5cyl beast into the engine bay and settling /balance on the axle

good luck
cheers:

Location: desert s.w. | Registered: November 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i note that trip's/ventureforth's 2.1 and parts collection (lots) is now on craigslist. the address is:

sale-agk83-1185943221@craigslist.org

best regards; eric

xxx

Location: telluride co | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Location: desert s.w. | Registered: November 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Change of plans. The MB didn't work out, so now I'm going with either a 1.9TD/TDI VW or a Toyota 2LT/2LTE/1KZ. Any thoughts? From my research, it seems the AX5 transmission will mate up to a 22R style bellhousing (W or G), and ACME adapters makes a plate that will mate that Toyota bellhousing to a VW, so that's one option. Or I could just go 2LT to AX5 with just the bellhousing and not the plate (right?...as long as I swap out the input shafts -- AX5 is 7.5" and Toyota is 6.5"). It also seems the AX15 and the R-series transmissions used with the 1KZ will mate up, so that seems like an option, too. I currently have the AX5 in my Jeep, of course, but AX15s are not too expensive or hard to come by. Will it be easy or difficult to swap out the AX5 for an AX15 and bolt it up to the 1KZ? Any thoughts?

All things being equal (as I have been able to get pretty comparable prices for all of these options when all is said and done, give or take a few hundred $$), which option would you go with? Now, this question comes with the following qualifiers:

1. Ease of installation/swap (i.e., is the wiring and ECU of the 1.9TDI or 2LTE or 1KZ going to be a nightmare? Should I stick to 1.9TD/2LT?)
2. Reliability of the engine (I love my 1.9TDI in my '03 Golf, but I've heard great things about the Toyotas, too).
3. Availability of parts (I've heard mixed opinions on being able to keep a 2LT going in the States and I don't want to run into the same issues I had finding parts for the Renault and the cost of those parts. VW engines and parts are everywhere and pretty cheap)
4. And, of course, bang for the buck and appropriateness for my application(the 1KZ has significant power advantages, but the 1.9TD is no slouch and can be enhance to make some pretty respectable numbers, especially the TDI. Driveability and fuel economy and veg-oil conversion take precedence over rock-crawling beast-ness, as I don't really do much off-roading).

Anyway, you all have been so helpful and insightful in the past, I thought I would bend your ears once more.

Cheers,

Trip

p.s.
There is an updated craigslist ad for my Renault stuff. I found some additional pieces that weren't listed before, I replaced the missing fuel line, and one of the turbos has been sold.

http://losangeles.craigslist.o.../pts/1227875639.html

Location: Pasadena, CA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another option that came up was an Isuzu 4BD1T. The are adapters that will mate it to the AX5, as well. Any thoughts?

Location: Pasadena, CA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hello; my bosch VE injection pump on the renault started leaking (too much biodiesel, probably). trip/ventureforth, do you still have an extra one? can you call or email me (i'm at wcpiATtelluridecoloradoDOTnet or 970.729.0034)? thx. mine is squirting about a quart an hour. messes the driveway and is a fire hazard, tho it seems to run fine.

also, there is a 93 cherokee on ebay w/ only 1600 km. current price is $1500. 4 days left as of today, 21 july 09

on craigslist, somebody has a cherokee in MN with a nissan 3.2 turbodiesel for $3000. that is a whole lot cheaper than doing the conversion yourself. if you do an all of craigslist "diesel jeep" search, all sorts of interesting things show up, including a whole liberty/vm engine and driveline for $2800.

best regards; eric

xxx

Location: telluride co | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Just thought I'd post an update for everyone who has been following the thread. I ended up going with a VW 1.9TD (AAZ). This replaced the stock 2.1L Renault which was giving me lots of trouble. I've added some performance enhancements to the AAZ (the larger turbo from a 1.6L, and some GTD Bosio nozzles) and am thinking an intercooler is in order, too. I haven't been able to find any solid info on a good choice for the intercooler. Most of the forums I've searched and performance stores I've spoken to really only deal with super-powering Japanese rockets on wheels or building giant off-road beasts. Any recommendations on an intercooler?

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
hello folks. the pump rebuild/timing on my bosch ve has been kind of a hair-pulling experience. my same pump has now been "rebuilt" 3 times with indifferent results. the b-100 homebrew biodiesel that i used for about 3 years previously ate up all the rubber seals in the pump and also caused some rust pitting in the pump, fuel lines and fuel tank.

in the first rebuilding, at a local rebuilder, a lot of VW parts were used. something was different re volume delivery/timing in the renault from vw specs, as my cherokee lost it's sprightly performance and became a gross emitter (big white smoke).

then i sent it to a second shop, in tennessee, with the renault specs. they claimed that they bench timed it to the book. still a little sad, but better.

then i sent it to a performance diesel place. just got it back. the guy sounded on top of it on the phone, so we will see.........

at this juncture, i am down on wvo homebrew biodiesel in the renault 2.1L; the rubber/steel in the system does not seem compatible with the residual alcohol/water inherent in biodiesel. i remain convinced that the 2.1 is a great engine, but only on dinosaur bones; the thing just doesn't seem compatible with biodiesel.

best regards, eric

xxx

posted Hide Post
Hello All.

I am actually looking for a Cherokee TD, I have actually rebuilt the 2.1l TD before, I find it to actually be quite intriguing. Anyways, does anybody have any spare Cherokee TD equipment or parts?

posted Hide Post
Hi guys new to the site I just bought a 84 Wagoner cherokee with the 2.1 auto in it I thought for parts paid 800 bucks and drug it home but looking at the engine everything looked new hoses clean and engine not greesey wireing perfectly clean no leaks I sat behing the wheel and couldent beleve my eyes 54thousand original KMS ?? sorry Miles I guess the fellow had problems with the starter and parked it , I put new brushes in it and after some perswadeing it started up sounds perfect , and asside from some minor rust surphase rust it looks great . I think I will put a 3 inch lift in it and new tires and paint , What is a fair life expectancy and what is so bad about the auto is the 5 speed that much better I have a a15 from a 4 ltr will it bolt up ?? Where can I find parts for these ? like new glow plugs what will interchange ? I want to mate a 1980 CJ wrangler I have with a 3.0 ltr merc from a new dodge van how cool will that be what do you think . I apretiate the imput and apolagise for the poor speling , LOL ,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Captin21,

Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: May 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also the fellow 2.1 ltr is his handle If you are still around write me I would like to compair notes as you live withing 15 miniutes of me ,

Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: May 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hello 2.1 community. my cherokee is now running great. Performance Diesel did a fine job on the pump rebuild and followed the renault spec sheet exactly. previously someone asked about the automatic; i have owned both, but you get more performance from the manual because it has 5 gears instead of 3 and is better able to follow the torque curve, has less internal losses (more efficient), and does not do gratuitous downshifts (it may have been some sort of set up problem, but my 2.1 automatic would busily but needlessly shift itself all the time on hills etc). i very much dis-liked it compared to the manual. the engine has a very narrow torque curve (about 3000 to about 3400 rpm). i think i mentioned it before, but poor quality (wet) homebrew certainly wreaked havoc with my fuel system (tank, hoses, steel lines, and injection pump). after all the replacements, i am sticking with straight dinosaur bones now.

if you search nationwide craigslist for "2.1 jeep diesel" one shows up every few weeks. i just got a really straight one (whole vehicle, no rust, less than 100k miles)for $400 from south dakota. its only problem was the glow plug controller. there is an outfit in england that has brand new 2.1 crate motors with turbo and injection pumps for under $2k. for anyone with problems, i would suggest this route rather than overhauling your old one because the winnebago folks are sure going to nick you more than $2k for parts. the brits quoted me $450 for freight to a regional depot (not door to door, but within 200 miles).

best regards, e---bvhydro

xxx

posted Hide Post
I need 4 rocker arms for a renault 2.1 Does any one have some to spare I had a mishap with my timeing and snaped the rockers I need help please E mail me I will gladly Pay for the parts and shiping E me at rpicard21@yahoo.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ventureforth:
It is definitely a Renault.

Renault 2.1L 4cyl. Turbo Diesel - 85 hp @ 3750 rpm, 132 ft lb @ 2750 rpm - used in 85-87

I'll try to get you some info on the transmission. What other info are you looking for?

Any one have some rockers for this 2.1 engine I made a mistake and snaped 3 Ill pay for everything if you will sell me and send me some Even if you know where one Is I can contact owner and deal with them Desprately seeking parts thanks rpicard21@yahoo.com

posted Hide Post
hello folks.

well my 85 cherokee came back to life after the injection pump was rebuilt for the 3rd time. the shop (performance diesel out in tennessee) followed the specs in the renault FI book exactly and and the result was perfect. they charged me $435 for a full overhaul and i am very pleased, though i am staying away from the veggie brew (just too hard on the steel pipes and rubber bits in the fuel system). therin pace at "foreign cars ltd" in norwood CO installed it and timed it, he also built a much better a/c compressor and alternator bracket for it as the original is pretty wimpy and mounts on a couple of the water pump bolts.

a couple of months ago we were in heavy slush south of silverton CO checking a wood hydropower flume that im involved with. a big splash on a hot exhaust manifold; it broke in half between cylinder 2 and 3. made it back over red mountain pass to telluride in non turbo mode, but the best welders in the area have pronounced the manifold irrepairable.......anyone have an exhaust manifold? found one from a lesharo, decidedly not interchangable, but mobility RV in IA did have the right gasket set. should have bought out trip when we-all had the chance.

for some reason my engine has been very trouble free. the problems have been due to the operator, not the gallic engineers. i really like the little engine, but we are in the high mountains and dont really need the big acceleration.

best regards, eric

xxx

posted Hide Post
found a new 2.1 tdi exhaust manifold online for $428.00 with free shipping at:

wowautoparts.com

they seem to have a goodly number of jeep and 2.1 diesel parts. tried calling DJ's wrecking up in washington state, per trip/venture forth's earlier advice; i think that corpse has gone to the crusher as dj's couldn't find it......

best regards,

eric

xxx

posted Hide Post
The 2.1 can be a fine engine the pump is easy to work on and if it leaks it is usualy a seal in the rear the big worry is the timeing belt if it is one tooth out it snap the rockers personal experiance If anyone is interested i have one of these and it is a Gem it is the 1984 Jeep Wagoneer it has the 2.1 td with a German automatic I like the standard better but this works well the jeep is in very very nice shape it has original only 50 thousand Miles Odometer is original and never been tampered with you can tell looking and listening to this vechical it runs perfect and drives the same the jeep itself in that year had crappy bumpers they wear made out of tin foil ? they rust not rust but errode like aluminum both these are shot I have some newer ones from a 89 should work well also needs a headliner as the original has fallen asside from that this one works well has 4x4 207 transfer case the lincage on the transfer case is not working good it will go from 2wd to 4x4 high but cannot find low it is just the lincage though i have had it checked this would make a great second car toy what ever for someone I need to move it as I have too many toys so the right offer will get it then someone will have to come get it fly down and drive it back ? let me know if anyone is interested this one also had a new timeing belt last year

posted Hide Post
Ha just saw my earlyer posts from last year and as you can figure out I mistimes my engine and snaped my rockers found some and finished the job and it is running great thanks

posted Hide Post
Hi all,

has been a while, to busy with other diesels.
Bought another jeep 2.1 diesel 1985 5 speed. So have two know
The tacho is not working on either of them. i did not look for the sensor yet, any suggestions?

Thank you, J

240D, 300TD, pwrstroke, niva diesel, 73 vette, DS20, 77XJS,

posted Hide Post
http://www.oemautopartsandaccessories.com

Long delay I'm aware however I just joined the hunt for a 1986 tachometer for the TD and whilst being pricy the only site I've found thus far offering all the electrical gages for the dash, including the tachometer.

Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post