Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duramax Diesel
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Guys, wanted to let everyone know that I purchased a new 07' Chevy Duramax Diesel and have been running various blends of biodiesel for about the first 5500 miles of it's life.
So far, it is noticeably smoother and slightly quieter even though it's really quiet anyway.
Is anyone else running BioDiesel in their Isuzu Duramax diesels?

--Chuck

Location: Shippensburg Pennsylvania | Registered: November 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey chuck..you might want to check out dieselplace.com...plenty of BD/WVO/SVO users there. And an awesome place for Dmax owners...I'm one too. "06 CCSB LBZ

There are 60,000 memebers there with plenty of vendors, GM Techs, Allison TEchs and excellent knowledge on all things Duramax....even do VIN checks for ay there. And it is a private site with no affiliations to GM.

rgds,

stk

Location: N. Central Calgary | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use homemade biodiesel in my 2001 Duramax, and it seems to like it just fine. Only had it for about 10,000 miles so far though.

Biodiesel works in Driptorches, too! (Card-carrying Pyro)
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI GLS
2001 Chevy Duramax CC 4WD (101K miles)
1990 VW Passat Wagon TDI (206K Miles) SOLD!!
1983 Isuzu P'up LSD Long Bed 2WD (325K Miles)
Homemade Biodiesel since 2002

Location: Flagstaff, AZ, USA | Registered: April 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Gadgetarius,

I too run Homemade Biodiesel in my D-Max. I have an 02 Chevy Silverado CC LB 4X4 with the LB7. I have been having some issues, but I think they are related to me being ignorant of the Chevy Quirks. I will know soon enough. I am trying a blend of B100 with Kero at 30%. I have read several places that this works well in colder climates like I live in. I know I will be using Dino Diesel, but it is the cleanest of the petroleum (they strip the sulfur out of it). I cannot wait until that pimple faced chemical engineering student discovers the magic chemical to end fuel gelling. Until then I will comtinue to play mad scientist.

BTW, I thought it was a "Match carrying Pyro"?

Amazing how something so simple can be so easily overlooked.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1995_T444E:
Hi Guys, wanted to let everyone know that I purchased a new 07' Chevy Duramax Diesel and have been running various blends of biodiesel for about the first 5500 miles of it's life.
So far, it is noticeably smoother and slightly quieter even though it's really quiet anyway.
Is anyone else running BioDiesel in their Isuzu Duramax diesels?

--Chuck

Isuzu designed the engine for Chevy. Chevy actually makes the engine and they have added a few details. Let me know what your experiences with B100 are during the winter. I am going to experiment with a 30% Kero Blend.

On another Note, Don't try to plow with your truck as they are not DOT approved to plow. Something about the front end being too weak. I do believe that Fisher has an airbag solution that will work though. I should probably get them too, but it makes for a stiffer front end.

Amazing how something so simple can be so easily overlooked.

posted Hide Post
Note to Moderator: Could you please separate this thread to DURAMAX? I think there is enough interest to warrant it.

I just finished a 1,000-mile trip to the LA area in my DMAX, running B50-B80, averaging about 19.3 MPG at 65-75 MPH. I carried a 30-gallon barrel in the back of my homebrew, and the littel 12-V pump worked fine for refueling. Pretty sweet setup, and I only had to buy fuel once in Bar-stow-stool. The DMAX seems to do just fine on the range of blends I feed it. I was a little concerned that a common-rail system's computer might not like different 'grades' of fuel, but it's running ok. With overnight temperatures forecast in the high teens (F), I topped off with Dino-diesel, so now I'm down to B20.

SMID87 --I tried an experiment with blending in up to 15% kerosene with Biodiesel, but my freezer test showed that the bio still gelled. I haven't tried white gas or mineral spirits, but I think there are some folks in the UK trying that out, but not in a DMAX. I'd be interested to know what your results are? Where are you that you have some Chevy issues in winter? My 2001 CC/DA 4WD is an amazing truck, but I don't want to mess it up cuz it cost me three of my older vehicles to be able to afford it!

Biodiesel works in Driptorches, too! (Card-carrying Pyro)
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI GLS
2001 Chevy Duramax CC 4WD (101K miles)
1990 VW Passat Wagon TDI (206K Miles) SOLD!!
1983 Isuzu P'up LSD Long Bed 2WD (325K Miles)
Homemade Biodiesel since 2002

Location: Flagstaff, AZ, USA | Registered: April 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just bought a '08 Duramax and wondering if anyone is running B100 in an '08 as of yet? If so are you having any problems? Im getting set to brew my first batch and want to see if there are any mods I need to make to my truck before I can start running it on my homebrew.
Thanks
Jason

Location: NC | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm interested on how you guys went running you Duramax on bio. I have just purchased a Isuzu D-Max 2009(Holden Colorado is another badge in Australia) with 4JJ1-TCX motor and would like to be reassured it will be trouble free on bio.Being my first new car since 1982 I am a bit nervous with a lot of negative talk about common rail and bio. The owners manual says not to use any amount of bio, not even B5. I have run a Isuzu Jackaroo (trooper) with 4JG2 3.1TD for 120,000km trouble free.

posted Hide Post
I run B-100 in my 2006 D'Max fo a year now. I do cut it to B-30 from mid-Nov till mid March...then back to B-100. My truck has had no issues. I have about 15,000 miles on Bio. We also use it in our Sprinter workvan without issue. My brother has a newer 6.7L Cummins and runs it as well. Oil report for the Cummins came back perfect so no fuel dillution in 6000 miles.

I would look into EFI Live. It's a tuning tool and may be of use to you. They are located in New Zealand. www.efilive.com

Location: NJ | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For all the Duramax diesels you need to update the filter housing for it to work with biodiesel.

See Dmaxwrenchkit.com

They have a solution to this issue with these trucks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Awk:
For all the Duramax diesels you need to update the filter housing for it to work with biodiesel.

See Dmaxwrenchkit.com

They have a solution to this issue with these trucks.

Why?

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

Location: Sterling Hts. Michigan USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well the details are not really known. Just that they have a lifetime warranty and it looks as though fuel is not a problem.

posted Hide Post
You don't need a new filter head. You can just change the seals to viton. Filter seals

Location: NJ | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DUO_CORE:
You don't need a new filter head. You can just change the seals to viton. Filter seals

X2...You only need to replace the seals with Viton. I just did this to our 2007 Duramax LBZ. It was an easy job. I also installed the Nicktane Billet Aluminum OEM Filter Adapter with a 2 Micron 1R-0750 CAT fuel filter. I can find these filters much cheaper than the OEM filters. I'm very impressed with the set up.

Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: December 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post