A couple quick questions for the Duramax Crowd (Please!)
1. I have been running biodiesel for abour 7 months. Have done Engine Oil Analysis with B-50 and B-75, which look great. Have also done compression testing prior to biodiesel, after B-50 and after B-75 without any changes (up or down by 5% and varies, probable testing error).
2. I have read some folks with coking problems using B-100, others say it runs great.
3. during warm weather (say above 50) has anyone had any issues with 100%? I am trying to determine if the problem is an engine specific issue, a fuel quality issue, or if there is really no issue.
4. I am considering an AUX tank so I can run the b100 with a b-50 start up and cool down, which will be needed in winter anyway, but may need in summer?
5. Any experience, guidance or a reference for review would be most appreciated.
6. If anyone is using Amzoil, note they have two grades of heavy duty Diesel compatable oils now. Am trying the one that is more heavy duty, meets the merceds specs. Will check oil analysis and glad to forward to anyone interested.
06 Lib CRD
I have been running B100 in my 2004 Duramax for over 2 years and 51,000 miles. I have had no real issues other than a filter plugging period which was totally my fault, and a cracked filter head housing which is un related to using bio and a common defect with the Duramax.
If it aint broke, dont fix it! But its ok to take it apart and see how it operates.
Thanks for the update.
Another word of caution / interest: The fuel filter manufacturers use different paper media. I am researching who makes what brand of filter. My first filter clogged pretty fast (as expected. To test if the filters are clogging due to debris or to degradation, I put an unused NAPA filter in a container with 100 and left it for 6 months. I used that filter this week, and it failed at 120 miles, less than 3 hours of use (per meter). I suspect filter media degradation. Am now trying an AC Delco to see what happens. Will also probably test WIX and a few others. Any one else with filter knowledge or experience?
06 Lib CRD
b75 or b100, makes no difference, run b100! the dino is no good anyways with all the low sulfer and stuff they add to it now compared to b100 unless you are worried about the cold...
I've been using Wix with no problems, I change them when the computer says to. Only one has clogged but that was when I first started to use bio.
Perhaps that's true where you live in South Florida. Such generalizations are meaningless for those of us who know better. My diesel fuel comes from Canadian wells, it's refined to ASTM specs, and distributed by Canadians. Canadian oil pays their taxes, feeds their families and puts a roof over their heads.
The biodiesel you use is from veg oil grown, harvested, transported and refined using petroleum. The methanol you use is made from petroleum, so don't go all self righteous over it.
Got a 2004 Duramax. I have been running B100 since October of last year. I use the purolite filters that are sold at Advance Auto Parts. I change them according to my dash board computer engine oil life percentage. Oil, oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter are all changed upon reaching close to 0% engine oil life. I also use Diesel Kleen injector cleaner and cetane boost. About 14 ounces per 40 gallon batch. So far so good. Truck runs great.
|Powered by Social Strata|