New
Find
Notify
Tools

DPF Delete Kits?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello All,

I own a 2010 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.6 Duramax and a DPF in it. Does a DPF delete kit eliminate the regen/b100 issue on these vehicles and should I therefore have one installed?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the discussion on DPF.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...9605551/m/2721003282

The DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) is required by the EPA. If you are required to have EPA checking, then it will be checked.

If the filter is removed, then there is no need for regen cycles. The kit will fool your system to believe that everything is "normal" and that there is no need for regen.

It should decrease the problems with oil dilution.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So with a delete kit you think the Duramax should be b100 compatible?

Thomas

Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should look into a DPF delete AND EFI Live. www.efilive.com

EFI Live will let you open your stock ECM programming and turn off all DPF related events i.e. post injection...and tell all DPF related codes to "not report"

You can also buy a separate ECM from a professional tuner that has been pre-programmed for your needs... www.duramaxtuner.com

Hope this helps...

------------------------------
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the exertions of men better than himself.

-John Stuart Mill

Location: NJ | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you VERY much for your inputs!

I will contact these sources soon.

So, with the EFI Live I wouldn't even need a delete kit, since the ECM can be reprogrammed?

Thomas

posted Hide Post
Essentially your DPF delete kit will contain.
  • blank pipe.
  • some method to either reprogram your ECM, or attaching an electronic device (possibly just a resistor) to fool it into thinking your DPF is ok and doesn't need a regen cycle.
the EFILive thing looked interesting, but sounded like a pain, especially their licensing the use by vehicle.

The optimum solution would be to find an injector that would mount somewhere, probably after the Turbo, that could perform the regen cycle without the in-cylinder injection.

I'm guessing that this will be available on some vehicles starting in 2011, but it is unlikely that it would be plug-in-play to retrofit it into older vehicles, and would still require ECM changes.

Thank God nobody had thought about putting computers in cars when my VW was made!!!

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
EFI Live is far from a pain. It can be intimidating to someone who has never experienced it before. I was there 3 years ago. I bought a subscription to a tune library, compared the changes to my stock tune, and started tweaking things to my liking. There's even classes if you really get into it. It comes with 2 licenses so you can immediately program 2 vehicles. I've reprogrammed my ECM and TCM (trans) with 1 license. I wanted to raise the shift points when towing my huge 5th wheel so I just did it. Each additional license is 99 bucks. This way you're not fooling your ECM you're reprogramming it. Keep in mind EFI Live is a tool...not a "can of tunes" like Edge, Banks, Superchips, Predator, etc....You make the tunes....you can watch what the engine and trans are doing by plugging in to the OBD2 and creating logs and maps of real world data while you're using the truck.

...and yes you could just reprogram the ECM for no regens...

Good luck,

------------------------------
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the exertions of men better than himself.

-John Stuart Mill

posted Hide Post
Good stuff, good stuff,

How much will that set me back to run b100?
And do you guys think there ever WILL be a periodic emission testing to these engines that would obviously result in a fine in the case of a delete kit installed Eek

Thomas

posted Hide Post