BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  6.6 Duramax    old style '07 duramax fuel system issue

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

old style '07 duramax fuel system issue
 Login/Join

posted
I have been having an issue with my 2007 Duramax truck that has perplexed me, I have 110K miles on it and it has all been with Bio that I have made and have had no issues. I have been making my fuel since my 2003 Duramax, and while I had some issues early on my system works well and my fuel is clean.

My truck is acting like it is starving for fuel like a plugged fuel filter but changing the filter does not help. It seems as though while I am on the flat ground I am pretty good but if I go over a mountain pass or tow my boat or basically put it under duress it starts to starve out.

Any help any of you might have would be great, I have a salmon fishing trip scheduled and need my truck to work right.

Thanks for your help.

Location: Cle Elum, WA | Registered: June 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need a lift pump. I would add this lift pump

I was having the same issues when pulling my camper through the mountains, bio or no bio. My problem has been solved for 2 years now.

------------------------------
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the exertions of men better than himself.

-John Stuart Mill

Location: NJ | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this is an old post, but was this ever resolved?

I do know that there can be 100 other problems besides a lift pump. It's easy to test; measure the vacuum after the fuel filter. There's a port with a black cap on the motor that you can hook up a vacuum gauge (might have to go to a shop if you don't have this $140 special gauge adapter). Normal is 3-5"hg, a plugged filter or blocked fuel line will be more. I had a gelled filter and it was 29.

Unlike Ford and Dodge, the D-Max sucks fuel from the tank just with the injection pump. Adding a lift pump should only be necessary when you're setting up massive power (+700hp). Otherwise the injector pump has more than enough lift for our needs.

I have a tuner that can look at fuel rail pressure, injector balance rates, etc. I'd check out some of that stuff, but first measure the vacuume at the fuel port. You could have a collapsed fuel line for example, or some restriction. If you let your engine sit for months on end the biodiesel can degrade in the injection system (biodiesel is bio-degradable)and leave behind some sludge that can clog your injectors.

Or you can just have some other problem unrelated to the fuel at all. I'd love to know, mostly because I have the same truck.

-Kevin

Location: Portland, OR | Registered: April 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post