Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
6.6 Duramax

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5811057422/m/5391017481

May 25, 2008, 11:19 PM
duramadmax
6.6 Duramax
I did the factory times for the filters when on ULSD. Believe it's based on 15k miles for the time to expire on the DIC. During Bio transition I would do half the times until you go to a steady BXX state. Then you can go back to the factory times if you want.
February 21, 2009, 12:33 AM
timnmatty
I've got a 2004 Duramax. I've run B100 for about
5 months now. Truck runs like a charm. I've run almost 400 gallons through it and gone about 6000 miles without a hiccup. I get the same fuel economy and performance as Dino diesel and engine runs smooth and quiet. FYI
August 09, 2009, 10:42 PM
pharmgdb
quote:
prim

Hello, I am having issues with priming my truck. I started making biodiesel in January of '06 and have had a few issues. I have gone through 3 filter housings not priming. They replace and it is OK till the next filter change. I am suffering from my original sin when I used poor technique to produce biodiesel. I used NaOH to produce originally and did not wash in the beginning. My thoughts are the glycerin fell out in the tank and from time to time it gets sucked up and clogs the filter. I had the dealer take down the tank to clean it out but my assumptions are they just pumped the tank and did not give it a good washing. I still have clogged filters, especially when I run the fuel low. I can only guess at what the issue is but would like some input. I think the priming rings are the culprit. I saw some posts where people replaced theirs with 1-3/16 X 1-1/2 X 5/32 BUNA 80A from Hydropak. I also saw someone who claims they can fix the priming issue. http://www.dmaxwrenchkit.com/FuelFilteradapter.html Does anyone have any direction for me? I am stuck and unable to start my vehicle.
August 15, 2009, 09:48 PM
Wilfred
quote:
Originally posted by pharmgdb:
quote:
prim

Hello, I am having issues with priming my truck. I started making biodiesel in January of '06 and have had a few issues. I have gone through 3 filter housings not priming. They replace and it is OK till the next filter change. I am suffering from my original sin when I used poor technique to produce biodiesel. I used NaOH to produce originally and did not wash in the beginning. My thoughts are the glycerin fell out in the tank and from time to time it gets sucked up and clogs the filter. I had the dealer take down the tank to clean it out but my assumptions are they just pumped the tank and did not give it a good washing. I still have clogged filters, especially when I run the fuel low. I can only guess at what the issue is but would like some input. I think the priming rings are the culprit. I saw some posts where people replaced theirs with 1-3/16 X 1-1/2 X 5/32 BUNA 80A from Hydropak. I also saw someone who claims they can fix the priming issue. http://www.dmaxwrenchkit.com/FuelFilteradapter.html Does anyone have any direction for me? I am stuck and unable to start my vehicle.

The NAOH is not a real problem I used it till just recently because I could buy it at the local hardware store, other than a little extra soap that has to be washed out works fine.
The not washing however,yikes, even if you filtered well it still would settle stuff out for days, not just glucerol if you did not drain well but soaps and other solids, after washing and letting sit it will have a layer of yuck on the bottom so, without a wash your tank would be the recipient of all this wonderful stuff!
The tank is not that hard to drop the lines are easy enough to get at and only two straps to drop it. Helps if empty or mostly, then you can make sure it is clean. Also blow the lines out.
Also without a wash there would still be methanol in the mix which would be rough on the aluminum parts of the filter mount and such.
Don't know a thing about the filter redo other than the site but seems a bit spendy for a brass bleeder on your old filter mount.

Curt
2001 Duramax 23K on B100 1 fuel filter
90 12 valve 300K on clock last 20K on B100 1 fuel filter

Wilfred
August 25, 2009, 07:49 PM
farmerj85
quote:
pharmgdb

I had problems with injectors on my 04 D-max LLY. Had to take to shop to replace injectors (under warranty, thanks GM for picking up the $1,400 tab!) They did mention there was a strange looking fluid in the fuel. I figured it had to do with biodiesel and took the tank off to eliminate future problems. GM may not be so forgiving next time. Taking out the tank and cleaning it out is your ounce of prevention. The pound of cure is the hours of time and hundreds of dollars in injectors, along with the fact that you will probably break down at the most inconvenient time (mine did 2 hours from home, luckily I was just away to college and had a number of rides to class). All you need is a set of metric sockets and ratchet to take the straps loose, a small flat screwdriver and take the lines loose with fuel line disconnects (5 bucks for an assortment at AutoZone, Napa, etc). O and a set of coveralls you can ruin Smile. It's obviously best to have the tank as empty as possible as diesel weighs around 9 pounds/gallon. The pic is one I took just before I took it all loose. If you have any problems with taking the tank out, just e-mail me (I always like to have an experienced contact handy). Turn the tank upside down and if you want to see exactly what you had in the tank, have some sort of container ready to see what was in there. Take a digital cam and take pics of the inside of the tank so you can really see what you've got. I found traces of glycerin that settled in the heat of summer (apparently 2 weeks settling in a funnel-tank and running through a 5 micron filter wasn't quite good enough). Again, e-mail me if you have any run ins. I did this 15K miles ago and it's ran great since.

I grow it, I make it, I burn it

BIODIESEL
August 25, 2009, 08:13 PM
farmerj85
sorry, pic is too big to post. Send me your e-mail if you want a couple. I'll show you what the line hook-ups look like as well as what I found in my tank. I took paper towels and wiped every square inch of the inside of my tank.

I grow it, I make it, I burn it

BIODIESEL
September 18, 2015, 08:57 AM
duramax driver
I have been on 100% BD except winters and anticipated temps below about 25. Then I run B50. Have 110K on an 03 LB7 series duramax. It does (as everyone says) eat injectors about every 100k.
When I make fuel, I have added a few steps.
1. I do a 70/30. Run it with 70% reagent, settle and separate, the re-run with 30%. Shifts reaction to the left and winds up more complete.
2. At the end of phase 2 above, I add about 1/2 galon of water and run for 10 minutes or so. Allows faster settle and separation time.
3. I wash with a mister using about 30% of the bio volume with water.
4. Then add water again and bubble wash for 2 hours. Settle x 2 hours and repeat x1.
5. Then I dry using sump pump to spray and allow water to evaporate.
6. After pump is off, I allow that to settle x 2 hours before transfer to storage.
Of interest:
I kept adding the steps above as I read stuff and tried it. Kept getting better fuel!
Looks like a lot of work, but most of the time is running a pump or settling.
Takes 2 days for a batch, but only about 60 minutes or so of hands on.
I still get a little glycerine settled after drying, but not much.
I take a sample and heat to 225 in microwave on occasion to ensure no water (no boiling)
Change fuel filters (Rayco 120, 10 micron) at each oil change.
Change oil at 150 hours.

Any other new methods out there?
Final Question: what is the last year duramax and Cummins did NOT use DEF? Thinking of replacing the workhorse.

Duramax Driver
03 duramax
06 Lib CRD
September 18, 2015, 08:59 AM
duramax driver
forgot to mention: all hoses replaced with Viton. Prior posts are correct, biodiesel eats the rubber fuel lines and seals. TIPCO is one source for viton. I am sure there are others.

Duramax Driver
03 duramax
06 Lib CRD
September 18, 2015, 09:18 AM
dukegrad98
quote:
Originally posted by duramax driver:
Final Question: what is the last year duramax and Cummins did NOT use DEF? Thinking of replacing the workhorse.

Not certain, and know nothing about Duramax, but my 2011 Cummins Dodge does not use DEF.

Cheers, John