Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.6 Duramax
 Login/Join

posted
Why is there now area for the 6.6 Duramax on this forum. Just wondering? Thanks Herb

Location: SENC | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is now! Smile Welcome to the forum! Not many Duramax's here yet I suppose. But, you started the thread, so maybe we'll hear from all the DMax owners.

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

Location: Sterling Hts. Michigan USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, first post. Was yhinking of running a second tank in winter for bio. does anyone know of a supplier for this type of system for 05 silverado crew cab? Still working out the kinks, and would like to burn as much bio as posssible w/o problems.

posted Hide Post
Hello I am running b100 in my o5 duramax this is starting the second year.almost 40k so far pluged one filter, but that was commercial BD from a small truck stop.

posted Hide Post
I am working on using bio too. Just have not finished processor building yet. '07 duramax classic

Location: Norse | Registered: March 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2003 Duramax, just finished building my processor, and best of all the girlfriend works part time at a resturant, so she collects and brings the oil home to me. ( gotta luv her)
I am intrested in hearing how other duramax owners are doing with thier bio. I was also thinking of adding a second tank. The 25 Gallon stock one dosnt cut it. I was thinking of getting one of those auxillary tanks that you put in the bed, the kind used to fill equipment with fuel, I heard they can be modified to be used directly in line with the trucks existing fuel system. What is everyones thought on that?

posted Hide Post
I have a 2006 Duramax. Been using a combination of commercial bio with regular diesel at times, especially in cold weather. I have just over 10K, and am on my third fuel filter. Am looking into an auxillary filter in line before the OEM filter that has more capacity. Really want to get my processor finished so I have some control about my fuel. Diesel shops say bio will wreck my truck, but all the facts I am getting say it is probably better, but fuel filters every 3-4 K are getting expensive. What are your experiences with Duramax engines?

Location: Seattle area | Registered: April 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DCgrout, maybe you should buy the bio in bulk, then filter it before ading to he truck. Use a filter with at lest the same size in microns. This should cut down on chevy filters which are not cheap. I am going through filters too, but the are only ten bucks, and change in five minutes and no priming necesary. any ideas on my question about a second tank for bio in winter? That way i can switch back to dino when i know it will be cold enough.

posted Hide Post
dcgrout, sorry about the last post, i did not check the typing before hitting post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcgrout:
I have a 2006 Duramax. Been using a combination of commercial bio with regular diesel at times, especially in cold weather. I have just over 10K, and am on my third fuel filter. Am looking into an auxillary filter in line before the OEM filter that has more capacity. Really want to get my processor finished so I have some control about my fuel. Diesel shops say bio will wreck my truck, but all the facts I am getting say it is probably better, but fuel filters every 3-4 K are getting expensive. What are your experiences with Duramax engines?

You might use the cat 1R-0749 filter. Good for 2 microns. I use it....

posted Hide Post
Hello everyone. I wanted to answer a couple of questions I saw in the tread. First, my dad has a 94 ford PSD with dual tanks plus a 110 gallon auxillary tank that is operated by a toggle switch in the cab. He can go across the country in this thing, it is awesome. I filled him up with B100 in Wichita, KS and he traveled to Ft. Worth and then to Pheonix and still had 1/4 of the auxillary tank left. The only problem is that is expensive to install all of that, but very well worth it.

The other question was about the 6.6 and how it ran on bio and filter problems. I have put about 30,000 miles on my 03 duramax and it runs increadible. I won't lie, I have had a few problems with filters in the beginning, but that was due to me just expirementing and not producing top notch fuel at the time. If you make your fuel right you will have zero problems with your filters in WARM weather. The one thing that I hate about the duramax is the fuel filter set up. My wife drive a 7.3 excursion and I love the filter set up. The chevy has a filter can that is a pain to replace and it is not insulated from the cold. At low temperatures the filter will gel inside if using B100 or close to it. My major filter problems have been due to the cold. My wife's excursion will run on the same fuel, the same cold day much better than my duramax. Besides the filter issue though, my 6.6 blows her 7.3 away. Both running on washed and dried and filtered b100 of course.

posted Hide Post
sounds great...You might check to see if the fuel has a cloud point that is too low for the temp outside. Bio will gel at different temps depending on the feedstock as you might know. Yes filter is a pain but I use a the remote filter but all is vulnerable to gelling at very low temps though.

posted Hide Post
By remote filter do you mean an additional inline filter?
All diesel fuel can gel at a given temperature, but like I said, the 7.3 liter would run great on the same fuel on the same cold day. Sometimes my duramax would have to sit for a whole day in a highly heated garage to get it to run right.

posted Hide Post
Yes inline is what I got. Well I know the duramax does not have a lift pump to help push fuel through the lines. It is based on a vacuum system to get its fuel. I am unsure about the 7.3 though.

posted Hide Post
anyone running vegi blends on an LB7?

posted Hide Post
Guess i'll add my .02 to this one. Also have 06 2500HD CCSB LBZ. Am in the worx of building a reactor for 90L. Am also lookin at a Stanadyne FM100 post OEM fuel filter...all a guy needs is cash...and that at times takes time.!

Location: N. Central Calgary | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an '04 duramax that has been on B100 for most of its life. It has been thru more than the recommended number of fuel filters, mostly during or right after winter, and has had 4 injectors replaced. one of those was a replacement for a replacement. It now is in a shop 70 miles from home waiting for a new fuel filter housing to arrive for installation. The old housing developed a leak so that the system will not sustain sufficient fuel pressure to run the engine. I have no idea if any of this could be related to fuel other than the ridiculous frequency of filter clogging in winter. The filters clog whenever temps get cool enough to cloud the BD, which is anything much below 50F for my fuel. I'm getting pretty fed up with all of this. I love my "cowboy caddilac" but either it or the BD will probably be history soon. I haven't made up my mind what to do yet, but I'm not up for another winter of this.

Location: San Luis Obispo County, California | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is your source for b100?
Do you do any type of testing such as cloud point in the fridge to maybe have "piece of mind" before you go through this again?

posted Hide Post
The source of BD is rice bran oil. I mentioned in my previous post that it clouds just below 50F. I have tested it in the frige and sitting out over night. I can eliminate most clouding during the cool season by leaving the fuel in a barrel outdoors until it clouds up. Then I let it settle for a few days and syphon clear cold fuel off the top. I can recover 80% of the fuel that way. Then I heat up the rest and use it in my tractor, which is less finicky.
You will find my posts scattered over a wide range of topics in these discussions for the past 3 years. I'm not really expecting a solution to the cloudy fuel problem at this point. I'm just trying to decide if the injector failure is caused by the fuel or not. Injector failure is a common issue for Duramax prior to 2006, even with #2 diesel from the petro pump. But 4 failed injectors is excessive in an '04. I'm trying to figure out if it is coincidental to the fuel or caused by it.

Location: San Luis Obispo County, California | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I understand your concern. The ole' lly motors had injector issues. Lb7's and LBZ's they were corrected. So fuel could be an issue but most of the fuel systems today are resistant to such chemicals and additives. However, if the fuel is DRY, converted and DRY...it should be fine.