BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Diesel vehicles and other diesel equipment  Hop To Forums  6.6 Duramax    08 duramax issues on b100?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

08 duramax issues on b100?
 Login/Join

posted
I am just getting into the biofuel market and was wondering if there is any concrete conclusions on running b100 in an 08 duramax.
IE:somehting about DPF , lots of fuel filters and post injection?
I live in peoria, AZ so cold weather not going to be a problem.
any assistance to my possibly reduntant question would be greatly appreciated.

PS: also have 07 duramax same or different issues?

Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: July 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a DPF still on I would not run b100. I dont believe you will have the necessary ignition temp of the biodiesel when it is sprayed into the DPF for soot cleaning. Ive been running 50% for over 1000 miles now with no problems. I think that is a safe level with a DPF.

Location: Fontana, Ca | Registered: May 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot to say that I have an 08 GMC Sierra LMM with 6000 miles on it now. My only issue was a clogged fuel filter in about 50 miles. I replaced it and no problems since.

Location: Fontana, Ca | Registered: May 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Duramax does NOT spray diesel fuel into the DPF; that would be the FORD. The lines you see running into the DPF sense the internal pressure, therefore sense when the filter is full and trigger a regen.

Biodiesel has less BTU per unit volume than petro-diesel but that is the only difference. People that slept through science class in the back row jump to all kinds of conclusions.

Location: Southern California | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They don't spray into the DPF, they spray into the cylinders which is worse. See:
Warning:danger of using VO/>B5 on many vehicles >=2007
and:
B100 use in post-injection modern diesels, leading to high engine wear

YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary, see www.burnveg.com/forum
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4
Zero fossil house- 100% solar power and heat.

Location: N. Colorado | Registered: August 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your '07 Duramax has the LBZ engine (early '07's did) then it doesn't have the DPF. It does have a post injection event. Under what conditions the post injection takes place i.e. barometric pressure, altitude, egr open or closed IAT's I don't know. I have the LBZ engine and run a fuel additive called B-99.9999999 Wink. I use a program called EFI Live link to shut off the post injection.

My question is, and I know the laws, this is not a law question but a enviromental question if we're running bio why do we need the DPF, Cat, etc.etc. The DPF was tested with dino diesel, not bio. Until the EPA concludes testing of the DPF system with bio shouldn't we remove it? The EPA is aware of Bio I'm sure. Why make us put DPF's on our diesels before testing is complete?

EFI Live allows you to remove it and turn all DPF related events off so you have no unecessary regens and no codes.

I've ranted I know but those are my thoughts on the subject. Still a free country right?

------------------------------
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the exertions of men better than himself.

-John Stuart Mill

Location: NJ | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So is the bollom line that we still don't have any good data that B100 is OK for use in the 07 and later duramax due to the new emissions equipment?

Duramax Driver
03 duramax
06 Lib CRD

Location: Maryland | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duramax driver:
So is the bollom line that we still don't have any good data that B100 is OK for use in the 07 and later duramax due to the new emissions equipment?

B100 will run fine in your LMM. Reports have shown the DPF won't be bothered by bio. The problem you'll run into is oil dilution from the post injection. To regenerate your DPF (clean it), the LMM injects fuel during the exhaust stroke. The problem is, since there is not enough heat/pressure in the chamber to cause ignition (they don't want it to), then the fuel will spray the cyliner walls and slip past the rings and into the crankcase when the piston comes up. This eventually dilutes the oil in the crankcase. They have the same issue with pump diesel also, but pump diesel has a lower flash point and will basically evaporate from the crankcase and not cause as much problem. The bio stays there and mixes with the oil. There are ways to shut off post injection, or you can just change your oil more often if you are running b100.

Dave

Making/running B100
07 Duramax LBZ
06 Jetta TDI
Spend most my time on www.dmaxcentral.com - duramax forum

Location: Mesa, Az  | Registered: June 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm sure this has an answer;
but what if you just remove the complete exhaust system, cat, DPF, Muffler, and go straight pipe, beside the noise, if to loud add muffler?

Location: texas | Registered: February 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The duramax does not add fuel to exhaust stroke in the LMM DPF models. It has a 9th injector in the exhaust for the regen process in the DPF. I think even with bio the exhaust is pretty hot during regen and shouldn't be a problem.

Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: February 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jtarcher:
The duramax does not add fuel to exhaust stroke in the LMM DPF models. It has a 9th injector in the exhaust for the regen process in the DPF. I think even with bio the exhaust is pretty hot during regen and shouldn't be a problem.

Ummm... Yes it did. The HCI was not added till 2010.
HTH :-)

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

Location: Sterling Hts. Michigan USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post