BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Environment  Hop To Forums  Environmental Links    One Billion Bulbs

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One Billion Bulbs
 Login/Join

posted
http://www.onebillionbulbs.com/

This webpage tracks the use of CFL bulbs to decrease carbon emissions and save energy.

Check out this website, change a bulb, and spread the word.

posted Hide Post
well that is one awsome site every one here using bio or svo ought to replace one or more bulbs with cf bulbs I mean they arent that costly and will save you some green backs in the end personally I replaced nine bulbs here and I plan to get another box and finish the job

Location: Pittslyvania County | Registered: February 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't used incandescent bulbs for years, preferring the CF and LED lights (gentler on my battery banks and 1.5kw invertor) I got a great deal on white LED christmas light strings, which are now my porch lights. 100 of them draw a total of just 2 amps, and are brilliant.

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA | Registered: August 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far only North America and Australia are making the move.

Seems like Europe has been lukewarm and the rest are not really into it.

OK, time to promote this site!

posted Hide Post
It's even better when you plug them into a Solar System.

Unfortunately, 12V CFL and 12V CCFL (Cold Cathode fluorescent Lights) are kind of hard to come by.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi friends

This is great idea. I think every member of this site should appreciate it.

Joseph

posted Hide Post
Just remember that the Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs (CFLs) contain a toxic level of mercury.

Should you break one, you would be better off calling a haz-mat team to clean it up versus risking touching it yourself.

Sorry to have to break this news to you but the mainstream media isn't about to tell you this...

No link in this post yet but a google search of "deadly mercury in CFLs" should bring up lots of fun info.

I'd go with LEDs. Nothing deadly there.

News and Views www.dailypaul.com

Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it contain mercury in gaseous form and breaking up of the lamp may lead to air and water pollution.Research says ,if individuals are exposed to the light produced by some single-envelope CFL at distances of less than 20 cm for long time , it could lead to ultraviolet exposures and thus skin or retinal damage.

Location: 12304 Baltimore Ave, Saint Paul, MN 55113 | Registered: November 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's nice initiative! I think so many people use the CFL lights. So it's good for your aim but it's not sufficient to reduce the amount of carbon from environment.

Location: Chicago | Registered: December 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's Bollocks!

Unless you leave every light in the house on all night it's going to do jack to your bill because lighting is a small amount of most people's overall electricity usage.
You want to save electricity and emissions or whatever it is? How about turning off that 50" plasma or the clothes dryer, pool pump, aircon,keep the fridge door shut...... that's what makes a difference, not light bulbs that i'm sure use more energy in production and cause more emissions in their total life cycle than the incandescent bulbs they replace.

I am so over all this feel good green crap.
While Joe public is made to have a guilt trip if he dosen't follow the approved politically correct thinking of the sheeple, industry, big business and gubbermints continue to waste and pollute and generally undo any good that all the population put together has no chance of compensating for.
When the people who really do the serious damage start taking the green crap seriously and the solutions are not worse than the so called problems they replace ( Prius anyone?) then I might take it seriously as well.

Of course where you find anything " green" you also find someone making plenty of green out of it as well. Roll Eyes