BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel  Hop To Forums  SVO Connections    Help with converting MB to wvo

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with converting MB to wvo
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to convert a MB to wvo. I would really appreciate all and any help with this conversion.

Thanks

posted Hide Post
You definitely want a two-tank system. Easiest way is to buy a kit. Greasecar makes good kits, which are easy to install yourself in a weekend. They have a good forum too with lots of knowledgeable folks.

You could save some money by researching and building your own system; the hardest part is building the second tank with internal heat exchanger and McGuivering the hose-in-hose connections. 3-way valves and electric switches can be found online. Screw it up and get some coolant in your oil and you can kiss your IP good-bye. Think about a kit for your first conversion.

Location: Montana, USA | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best information is available here:
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/
and for MB specifically:
http://www.peachparts.com/shop...m/alternative-fuels/

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Avoid using hose-in-hose, insulated hose-on-hose is much better.
Use a heated fuel pick-up, don't heat the tank - it causes polymerization of the UVO
Use a flat plate heat exchanger on a separate heated coolant loop off the block.
Use a separate coolant loop for the HOH and heated fuel pick-up.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I now have an 83 MB 300SD w a Greasecar kit on it w over a 100K & the PO, close friend, had it installed over 10 years ago. My friend has run Greasecar kits on an 81 VW Rabbit, 77 MB 240D, & now a 2000 7.3. He's never had a problem w any of his Greasecar systems on any of his vehicles!

Dave

84 MB 300D Turbo Diesel
98.5 Dodge Cummins 5.9
96 B7100 Kubota

Location: leavittsburg,Ohio | Registered: September 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Avoid using hose-in-hose, insulated hose-on-hose is much better.

John,
Why is insulted HOH is much better than HIH. There are three ways to route the VO from the tank , i.e. HIH (PEX), HOH (rubber fuel hose) and HIH (aluminum) Doesn't aluminum conduct heat better than PEX or rubber fuel hose? Direct contact with coolant water should conduct more heat, i.e. HIH with aluminum tubing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Why is insulted HOH is much better than HIH.

Fewer fittings, especially eliminating the faulty design where the aluminum fuel tube enters the terminal fittings of the HIH assembly. That's where the aluminum tube cracks and fails from work hardening vibration, contaminating the fuel with glycol and water and contaminating the coolant with UVO. Very expensive servicing of the IP is required, and engine damage is often the case. There are a number of documented failures at the Frybrid forum.

HOH/TOH is much less expensive, and more reliable. The fuel line only has to get the UVO warm enough to move freely. Nearly all of the heating to operating temperature is done by a correctly sized FPHE mounted in the engine compartment near the hot coolant source and the IP, which runs on it's own dedicated hot coolant loop.

Plantdrive uses HOH and FPHE systems all across Canada's cold harsh climate. They are working just fine with much fewer problems than the obsolete HIH designs.

HIH was developed many years ago in hot southern climates before FPHEs were commonly available, it's now obsolete.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the HIH vs HOH comparison. How do you suggest checking my antique hose style?

Dave

84 MB 300D Turbo Diesel
98.5 Dodge Cummins 5.9
96 B7100 Kubota

Location: leavittsburg,Ohio | Registered: September 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inspect the hose for cracks, how pliable is it, looks for leaks or pressure test the coolant system via the radiator. What system do you have - HIH, HOH or TOH and dia of hose - 5/8", 3/4" or 1"?