BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Resin from wood chips/sawdust..

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resin from wood chips/sawdust..
 Login/Join

posted
What do you guys do about the resin in the wood? I'm trying to stick to a completely waterless process, do they have to be washed out, or will they all settle out over time? Or does the first batch need to be washed with glycerin?

1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

Location: University of Georgia [#1 Party School!] | Registered: October 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The amount of resin in the wood will be greatly affected by the type of wood it is. That said however, there is a way to prepare the chips so that they will not give you trouble. Please see the interview I did with RolfQuo Biodiesel (in sig line) about how they do it. I got a drum of chips from them and have been using it in front of my Purolite PD206 resin tanks with excellent results.

**My reactor/processor :B100WH.com
**B100 Heated Winter System
** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.
** Interview with RolfQuo Biodiesel commercial use of wood chips for filtering biodiesel

** Don't tell me who you are, show me what you do and I will tell you who you are.- Jerry Rubin**

** Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein**

**When truth cannot be refuted it is tyranny's job to silence the messenger - me**

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read that interview. I will probably never have enough methanol at any one time to wash out a wood chip barrel, and I see that some people are using biodiesel. My main question is would it be ok to put the first batch or 2 through the wood aside, and then mix it into fresh bio prior to glycerin removal. Should have the same effect as using the resin-filled methanol for the process? I'm assuming the glycerin is the washing agent that will remove the resins.

1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

Location: University of Georgia [#1 Party School!] | Registered: October 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
May I suggest using a 5 gallon bucket of sawdust, or maybe a 15 gallon drum? They are saying a 55 gallon drum of wood chips lasts and lasts and lasts, so go smaller.

Location: The Deep South | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RickDaTech:
May I suggest using a 5 gallon bucket of sawdust, or maybe a 15 gallon drum? They are saying a 55 gallon drum of wood chips lasts and lasts and lasts, so go smaller.

That is good advice. I have a 200L (55gal) drum 'cause that is what I got from RolfQuo. To give you an idea about longevity; theirs is 2 sets of 4 drums each and has purified over 1/2 million liters and is not in need of changing yet.Lats year they did add lead/lag Purolite PD206 resin tanks, which is essentially what I have done also, although I had the resin before I got the chips and figured adding chips in front of the resin tanks would considerably extend resin life. So far so good.

**My reactor/processor :B100WH.com
**B100 Heated Winter System
** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.
** Interview with RolfQuo Biodiesel commercial use of wood chips for filtering biodiesel

** Don't tell me who you are, show me what you do and I will tell you who you are.- Jerry Rubin**

** Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein**

**When truth cannot be refuted it is tyranny's job to silence the messenger - me**

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5 gallon buckets sound good then. I'm still wondering where the resins end up going though. If I wash the wood with methanol, and then use that methanol to make biodiesel, I'm assuming that they end up in the glycerin and not back in the wood or in my tank. Correct?

1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
I would distill the methanol before using it.

Location: The Deep South | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good point 300sd81. It would seem that the resin has to be somewhere. And to distill 55gal of methonal in a safe manor is no small feat. Just wash the chips and sell the Methonal to some hobbist aircraft enthusist or better yet your local race trackSmile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Just wash the chips and sell the Methonal to some hobbist aircraft enthusist or better yet your local race track

Good luck with that! I doubt you will have any takers there...
Why not just use the methanol a bit at a time for your next few batches. Jehu and others have mentioned that the resins settle out to the bottom of the fuel so I am fairly confident that the resin will settle out with the glycerin after processing...
Just a thought!
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried a 5gal bucket as a trial on my last batch. I used kiln dried cedar shavings(it was what I found at the feed store). Prewashed it with methanol - soaked it for 30 min, drained wine red methanol, added some more methanol when I drained that(I cycled this stuff through a few times as it didn't quite cover the shavings) it was wine red too. Total soak time, maybe 2 hrs. Yeah, I know I should have soaked for a day or two, but I was in a curious hurry. No patience. Anyway, the first bucket(approx. 3.5gal) I ran through came out with virtually no soap after a 20 min. soak, and about 10min. drain. Subsequent buckets ended up coming out at about 300ppm near the end of the batch with roughly the same soak & drain times. IIRC going in the soap was about 1000 ppm. BTW the fuel from that batch is all used up - finished the washing w/ magnesol. The bucket was left with a full load of BD in it. Be interesting to see what my drainings read now.

My bucket setup drains from the bottom(It was quick & easy to set up this way) with a pickup T pipe of PVC with holes drilled into wrapped in cheese cloth about 1.5" from the bottom.

I know my residence time & drain rate were in all way too high. You guys think that for a 5gal. bucket setup something like a 1/10 gpm flow would still be too fast?

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding size of bucket and lifespan a lot depends on if you demeth the bio first and settle out the bulk of the soap that way. If you do then the drums last and last as stated. If you skip demeth then not so much. I use a three barrel system to avoid demething. The first barrel takes a hammering, second cleans most of whats left, third barrel polishes it clean and shiny.

Purolite etc is not needed at all anymore and is mostly used by people who already had the setup before wood tech matured.

Lifespan is dependent on methanol and soap saturation of the wood.

Allowing meth to evaporate or washing it and soap out of the wood with water will extend/renew life of media.

Demething obviously removes both methanol and soap before bio reaches the wood so greatly extends lifespan.

The wood works by demething the bio then acting as a depth filter for the precipitated soaps.

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post