BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Thermax question

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thermax question
 Login/Join

posted
I started using Thermax a while back in a coloum I built. I ran it through wood chips first then through the thermax using a dosing pump. I had great results then, (I only ran about 200 gallons through it the first time before my wood tower failed) however, I had to go back to water washing until I could build a better wood chip tower. Well I finally got around to doing it. My question is I had left the Thermax tower full of bio, (Like a idiot). I was using it tonight and the bio was coming out almost black! Did I ruin the Thermax by leaving biodiesel in it for about 3 months? Thanks

posted Hide Post
I doubt the fuel is ruined. Try filtering through your wood chips again to see if the color returns to normal and then titrate the biodiesel to check for acidity. In the worst case you could probably blend it with dino diesel.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops, I missed the real question. I doubt the Thermax is ruined also. It can be regenerated with a methanol flush, but I wouldn't consider that until I used it some more. See what the next biodiesel looks like as it comes out and titrate it to check for acidity.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok I decided to remove the Thermax and replace it with more. (Need fuel soon) So is there an easy way to clean the Thermax outside of the tower? Thanks again Justin

posted Hide Post
You could rig up a PVC column for that purpose. Pump the methanol into the top and let it trickle through and out into a collection tote. Of course you want to run a fan to blow the fumes away from you in a well ventilated area. Better to do it outside if possible.