BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Spontaneous Combustion???

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spontaneous Combustion???
 Login/Join

posted
Is this a worry with Eco2pure or wood chip filtration? I already had a fire from spontaneous combustion with oily paper towels in my trash can. I don't ever want to see that again!

Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It won't fire up if you have cut off the oxygen supply.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any examples of this with ecopure??

Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure it will fire given the right conditions, what conditions are you talking about?

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is only my opinion and should not be token as fact and please correct me if I am wrong.
Spontanious combustion occurs when fuel is heated to a high enough tempreture in the presence of oxygen.
Fire needs fuel, heat , and oxygen to occure. Abasic fire fighting corse informed me of this.
In the case of oily rags the heat is produced by the decomposition of the oil and rags this heat is contained by the outer layer acting as insulation. Once the tempreture rises above flashpoint of the oil spontanious combustion is possible.
The problem that I can see is if the colum si made of PVC pipe the heat can soften the tower, and if dte decomposition creates expansion the tower could burst allowing oxygen into the material providing all the required componants for fire, If the heat generated is enough spontanious combustion would be possible at this moment.
The question is
Does the colum become hot if left full of wood chips left submerged in BD being treated?
This may be tested with a small sample in a tin or glass container void of air and left in a safe spot and monitered.
What do you think?
Dom

Dom

You can not change the winds, but you can reset your sails.

Location: South Australia | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems like you need several things.

Oil+Water+Oxygen+Bioreactive material (cloth, etc).

I suppose the question then is what is done with the column when not in use? Is it maintained full of oil (little oxygen), or drained of oil (allowing oxygen in)?

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Why drain it, as the bio will only drain back into the unwashed bio container and have to be pumped back into the tower again when the next batch is to be filtered?
You do feed in at the bottom of the tower and take off from the top don't you?