BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Pool filter for wood chips

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pool filter for wood chips
 Login/Join

posted
Picked up free functional sand pool filter. Seems to be around 20 gal or so size.

I was going to build some columns for my wood chip wash, but may try this route for cost savings as I read some earlier posts using such filters. Will use kiln-dried hickory chips.

Have anyone determined the best way to run the filter? Normal operation - i.e. inflow on top and out-flow through the bottom laterals, or reverse - in through the bottom spreaders and out through the top?

Any issues with the laterals getting clogged by smaller saw-dust particles?

Any and all experiences and comments welcomed.

Thanks

Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i just run mine normally in thru the top and it gets forced thru the spreaders (underdrain) and up thru the central tube i use kilndried elm shavings but any hardwood is good if kiln dried do make sure your brew is properly converted and demethed or you will have to empty out your chips and start over.
i have my tank set up higher than the filter and the storage tank is lower down than the filter so gravity does the work no pumps or high pressure issues to worry about just turn on the tap and let it flow of its own accord.
micro particles of dust do find their way thru the filters at the bottom. i have a paper fat filter in a funnel in the bung of the storage drum to catch any dust and also i run stored fuel thru automotive filter as im filling vehicle

Location: new zealand | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
warning ! leave your filter full of bio when you have finshed to eliminate the risk of spontaneous combustion the filter will be full anyway when it stops flowing the only way i have found to drain it is by removing the cap on top with all the plumbing and siphoning out of the centre tube. also of note the spent chips make great fire fuel if rolled up in news paper one roll brns for about 15mins really hot and cleanly. i have used towers for chips which were fine but the sand filter is much easier and ready to go once the sand is out.please share your experiences i have only been using mine for a few months i am thinking of setting up a second one as a polisher but filling it with fine pumice instead of resin pumice is readily available here in nz and far cheaper than resin beads !

Location: new zealand | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post