BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Dry washing Woo Hoo!!!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry washing Woo Hoo!!!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockhot:
Legal where did you find the adapter base for the CAT 1R-0749 filter. I have searched but can not find it.

Thanks

The head is a 1/14 thread Perma Cool fuel filter head. I got mine from Summit Racing in California.

You can get it direct (I think) here. The one I have is the second one down (# 81794).

The head by itself is here (#1794)

If you cannot get it direct these guys have it.

I originally got the whole filter assembly but then discovered that the CAT filters spin on and work perfectly. The CATs are 2 micron absolute.

To give you an idea of the efficiency of wood chips followed by resin before the filter; I used to go through 2 CATs 6 times a year ( a total of 12) when water washing using city water that had high levels of magnesium in it. And then when I switched to resin lead/lag tanks I went through 1 filter per year. Now that I demeth properly and then run the biodiesel through wood chips followed by Purolite PD206 resin in lead/lag tanks I am using 1 filter in what is its second year so far. My soap count is ZERO ppm.

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I will check it out.

posted Hide Post
Can someone tell me, what kind of mesh you put inside the woodchip barrel is it 1000 micron or less. I do not want to get my 2 micron filter cloged.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Vlandster,

A plain windowscreen is fine enough. But when you first set it up you need to circulate it without a filter until it runs clean.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ours is an 80 mesh stainless screen.Convert mesh to micron

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunatly I have a few other questions Smile

Do I need to compact the woodchips or do I just drop them in the barrel and close it ?

Is it ok to have the outlet directly on the bottom or is it better from the side ?

Again I would like to thank all of you for the support and your hardwork.

posted Hide Post
Read the interview I did with RolfQuo in my sig line.

posted Hide Post
Question on the Pre-Treat of the Wood Chips:

The RolfQuo process- it says 3x meth beds, then 3x clean bio

but Fuel Farmer - you said - no pretreat

Is FF geting away with no pretreat because of the centrifuge??
(because i have (3)One micron bag fiters stacked and dont think that nearly comes as close as a CF)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMDK:
Question on the Pre-Treat of the Wood Chips:

The RolfQuo process- it says 3x meth beds, then 3x clean bio

but Fuel Farmer - you said - no pretreat

Is FF geting away with no pretreat because of the centrifuge??
(because i have (3)One micron bag fiters stacked and dont think that nearly comes as close as a CF)

I started to flush with Biodiesel but it wasn't necessary.
It's all in the chips. If the wood you are using has resins or if you have allot of sawdust then rinsing / flushing out is required. My chips came from a cabinet shop and made with dry maple on a planer that generated chips with no sawdust at all. Someething else to consider and a question I have . My Sawdust filters sometimes sit empty for a while and wondering if it is possible for algae or bacterial growth to develop in there. My fuel doesn't receive Killem until the final polish.
Drums are sealed and no moisture should be present ??

Big Grin

Pretty sure FF and LE will respond when they get in .
Have fun
Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I like to say, I am not an expert. I am not sure why the system I use works. Biodiesel is a very good solvent and it should condition the wood chips and remove any resin. I fill the drums with de-methed fuel and let the chips soak over night. Then I just run the fuel through the centrifuge. You could just pump the first fuel from the wood chip filter back into a settling tank and watch it for a few days to see if any resin drops out.

I don't have any lab test results to prove my fuel is good. I could be making some nasty stuff. Big Grin

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
Ours is an 80 mesh stainless screen.Convert mesh to micron

Did you mean 304 or 316 Stainless Steel Screen? I checked out this site and the 80 mesh looks pretty fine no?

http://www.bwire.com/

posted Hide Post
The reason to use stainless steel over other media is that it will not corrode with biodiesel nor will it age and split. This is an important consideration due to the fact that for the most part it will be submerged in biodiesel most of the time.

You can run a batch of biodiesel through your chips and if there are resins present you will see it in the colour change of the fuel. Then all you have to do is reprocess the biodiesel to get rid of the resin residuals (or burn it in a oil fired furnace instead of your car).

The 200L drum of chips I have was prepared for me by RolfQuo and so it was done with their process. I followed the chips with lead/lag Purolite PD206 resin and a CAT 2 micron fuel can as a final polish.
It works well for me.

posted Hide Post
Also interested how you keep fuel from leaking out from under the lids. Also, do you keep fuel in the barrels between runs to prevent heat build up and potential fire?

Super nice - I wish I had the room for such a set up.

Dana Knight "dckfly"
Boulder, CO

Chevy Silverado Duramax
3 VW TDI (wife and friends)

Location: Boulder, CO | Registered: May 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post