BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Dry washing Woo Hoo!!!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry washing Woo Hoo!!!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Yes there is a gasket under each lid. I am not sure how they will hold up to biodiesel. Time will tell.

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you have a chem distributor near home check with them about getting a couple gaskets they use for their drums. That is what I have on my settling drum where the hot reaction goes to settle out. It's been 5 years or so now without a hitch.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Up date on the wood chip filter.
One drum is filled with Oak shavings and the second drum is filled with Sycamore shavings. Getting close to 4000 gal. through the drums and centrifuge. Still no soap showing in the "soap test".

The CF removed a very small amount of brown goo or resin at start up, but the bowl has been amazingly clean after the early clean out. I checked the CF bowl today and almost didn't bother to wipe it out. It appears that wood shavings are doing a very good job of cleaning the fuel.

A big THANK YOU to all the wood chip filter pioneers for doing the testing and sharing the idea.

posted Hide Post
Excellent! Glad to hear that it is working out so well for you too. I don't know if you are already doing it or not but I would recommend setting up a smal micron filter can as a final stage to be absolutely certain that no particulates are getting through. The CATerpillar 1R-0749 is what I use and have been very happy with it.

Congrats again.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
Excellent! Glad to hear that it is working out so well for you too. I don't know if you are already doing it or not but I would recommend setting up a smal micron filter can as a final stage to be absolutely certain that no particulates are getting through. The CATerpillar 1R-0749 is what I use and have been very happy with it.

Congrats again.

Luc:
My Rolfquo copy drums are ready for installation.
Wishing I would have seen Fuel Farmers drums with the way he did the bottom design
first. Seems like a allot of area and fuel will be allowed to pool under the drain exit
in this design and wondering what would be best to fill in the bottom to minimize the excess. I have a half pipe to put over the screen portion to keep from compacting that will sit on the bottom with many holes in it. What would you recommend or should I just forget it and move on ?
Thanks
Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Any design that allows for good residence time and unobstructed flow is the right one; I have both straight through and reverse flow on mine. RolfQuo also has both systems in place;one is the original straight through (like what I got) and they also made up a reverse flow drum patterned after the water softener tanks (which I use for resin)and also now they have a resin drum as well.
Needless to say that the fuel quality is top notch.

The idea of a half pipe over the screen was to protect the screen from getting clogged up and hindering the flow. The ends are left open on this idea.

Some people use gravity feed, while others are giving it a gentle shove with air or a by-pass (which is what I use). My chip drum is always full; I suspect that you could conceivably keep it near empty with a little air pressure, but IMO that would lower quality as it would diminish residence time of the fuel in the media.

HTH

posted Hide Post
Drywashing Too WOO HOO !!!!
First samples have not been tested but the
visual is very encouraging.
The one on the right is right out of the processor
the left is after the woodchip filter only.
Cloudy Fuel ?? Still Wet ??
Thanks to all for the help.
Pictures of the filter soon.
regards
Tom

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check your acid value after dry wash. This is the usual issue when figuring out how to effectively use resin.

If your acid value is high use the "soap tester" as tool to help you figure out how long you need to settle to get the soap, and consequently the acid value down. This soap tester also predicts the final acid value if you were to dry wash. This QC test should be done before dry-washing so that you don't damage your resin by sending through a bunch of soap.

http://b100research.com/resour...ation-of-soap-in-oil

Location: CO, CA, KS, or FL | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HelpingHand:
Check your acid value after dry wash. This is the usual issue when figuring out how to effectively use resin.

If your acid value is high use the "soap tester" as tool to help you figure out how long you need to settle to get the soap, and consequently the acid value down. This soap tester also predicts the final acid value if you were to dry wash. This QC test should be done before dry-washing so that you don't damage your resin by sending through a bunch of soap.

Nice calculator helping... might I suggest an option for potassium and maybe another field for titration (HCl) strength.

posted Hide Post
You may certainly suggest! And I appreciate it. What Normality do you normally use? Plese contact me directly so that I don't overlook your suggestions.

Also,the link to the calculator changed. I did some upgrades.

Location: CO, CA, KS, or FL | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One good thing about having lots of relatives is there always seems to be a cousin that can help you out. I have a cousin that has a planing mill. He just got a shavings baler. I asked if he would save me some bags of oak if it worked out. Today I got a pallet of 15 bags and and a pallet for a friend. The bags were $4 per bag, or $60 per pallet. I think 11 cu.ft. of shavings are compressed into a bag.

Sometimes you just need a truck.

Just thinking. Could I make a "filter housing" that would hold a bag of shavings still in the bag? When it was used up, just slide out the old and slide in the new.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Just thinking. Could I make a "filter housing" that would hold a bag of shavings still in the bag? When it was used up, just slide out the old and slide in the new.

The biodiesel would eat up the plastic. Nice find BTW. You could however get someone (a cousin? ...) to make a stainless steel wire mesh basket and THAT could be slipped in and out of a filter housing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HelpingHand:

HH:
Sorry,
Not sure how I missed your reply !
Thanks for the Helping hand !!

Now that water problem is fixed , Acid and soap levels are much better, PH 7-8 ?? Still trying to master the Arbor Soap Test, but the visual shakemup is pretty indicative.

I was not able to see the soap tester tool.
Settling after demeth now before Drywash Chips, settles in there for a couple days then test
again.
Your right QC ,,, QC,,, QC ,,, and then QC.

Thanks again
regards
Tom

Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

posted Hide Post
i can offer the ion exchange resin from china for good price jasonzane@gmail.com

jasonzane

Location: yes | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im just about to make my first batch of biodiesel. I want to use the woodchip drywash but have a question. I dont have the money for an extra drum of methanol, nor do I have fresh clean BD. How do I do I pretreat my chips in the filter???

Location: kentucky | Registered: January 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just filled the drums with soapy biodiesel and after a few hours started to filter. No pretreating the wood chips. I do run the filtered fuel through a centrifuge and it does catch a small amount of brown goo on the first run. A filter could also take out the small amount of goo.

posted Hide Post
What kind of readings did you get after filtering?

Location: kentucky | Registered: January 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get no noticeable results with a soap titration test. So I think there is almost no soap. After 5 or 6 thousand gallons through the drums I can get a slight greenish color that turns back to yellow with a drop or two of acid solution. I have not had a professional lab test done.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have not had a professional lab test done.

I have :-) and it starts at 2800ppm before demething, and after demething and wood chips followed by resin tanks drops to ZERO ppm soaps.

posted Hide Post
Legal where did you find the adapter base for the CAT 1R-0749 filter. I have searched but can not find it.

Thanks