BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Dry washing Woo Hoo!!!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry washing Woo Hoo!!!
 Login/Join

posted
Finally in the dry wash game. Using wood chips and centrifuge. The CF could be over kill, but that has never stopped me before.

Thanks to Double D for the drums. You met the nicest people on this site.

Screens that go in the bottom of drums. One is complete with small screen.

Oak wood chips

Gravity feed set up. Only one drum is in use. I plan to use both in series. Fuel will flows from top tote through the wood chip drums, through centrifuge and int bottom tote.

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Anarchist Moderator
posted Hide Post
You ROCK buddy!!!

Can't wait to test some of the fuel - I would suggest soap titration and flash point. Smile

Bob in Moncure

Got Renewable Fuel?

Location: Moncure, North Carolina | Registered: April 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what size mesh?

posted Hide Post
Very nice, simple and easy. Thanks for sharing with pics!

Land Cruiser 4.2tdi, Figo 1.4tdci,
W123 240d

Location: Cape Town | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote(I plan to use both in series.)Got me confused, one after the other or both together? If in series, would you not need another level? Hope I'm wrong in my thinking, I could cope with 3 upper levels, but not 4. Jim.

Location: Cape Town | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimKohler:
quote(I plan to use both in series.)Got me confused, one after the other or both together? If in series, would you not need another level? Hope I'm wrong in my thinking, I could cope with 3 upper levels, but not 4. Jim.

I plan to run a hose from the bottom of one drum to the top of the other drum. I hope the top tote is high enough to push the fuel through the drums on the same level.

posted Hide Post
When the tote is full it should provide more than ample "push" to feed the drums side by side, although once it gets more towards empty it may not unless during a run as syphoning will be a contributor to the flow rate. You could set up a metering pump between the tote and drums and always have the exat same flow rate no matter what the volume inside the tote is. But then with a meter pump you could have 'em all on the floor too.

My set up use a by-pass system and that seems to work just fine at pushing the biodiesel into the top of the drum and then from the bottom back up to the top of the first resin tank and then over to the next resin tank and through a 2 micron CAT filter.Rememebr that the water purification tanks I use utilise reverse flow where the fuel goes in the top and then must filter down and then come back up a central tube inorder to leave the tank (same principle as a fuel filter) and it does this twice after leaving the bottom of the drum. Soap is zero PPM.

The pressure on the flow is negligeable; RolfQuo uses air to move the fuel around at about 2PSI. Once it gets going it keeps on flowing.

FF: nice set up.Congrats on leaving the world of the waterlogged :-) What is supposed to be the purpose of the centrifuge?

**My reactor/processor :B100WH.com
**B100 Heated Winter System
** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.
** Interview with RolfQuo Biodiesel commercial use of wood chips for filtering biodiesel

** Don't tell me who you are, show me what you do and I will tell you who you are.- Jerry Rubin**

** Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein**

**When truth cannot be refuted it is tyranny's job to silence the messenger - me**

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice set up. I wish I had the room you have to gravity feed from an IBC thru 200litre drums, ontto a bentrifuge below that then another IBC!

Location: Scotland | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pierre, I just asked for screen door screen. I do not know the size.

Legal Eagle, the centrifuge is there because I have it, and I was thinking it might catch any resin or soap that could be in the fuel. I did find a very very small amount of brown goo in the CF after running the first 240 gallon batch through the system. I am thinking resin from the wood. I could be wrong.

posted Hide Post
It would definetly be wood resin. If you start with a soap count of 1,000PPM or lower a single pass should net you a zero count with one pass as long as the flow rate is moderate. If you need the centrifuge for another job you can do the same thing with a filter bag. McMaster Carr has all kinds.

** Interview with RolfQuo Biodiesel commercial use of wood chips for filtering biodiesel

** Don't tell me who you are, show me what you do and I will tell you who you are.- Jerry Rubin**

** Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. -Albert Einstein**

**When truth cannot be refuted it is tyranny's job to silence the messenger - me**

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hot looking setup there farmer, as usual. I like the idea of running the fuge post chips to see what may still be in the fuel if anything.
Keep us posted.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could only wish for having such vertical space!

posted Hide Post
Good Job !!
Thanks for the pictures, I really like your bottom design.
Please make sure you let us know how it is working for you .
Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the nice comments.

I added the second drum in series. Just ran a hose from the bottom of the first drum to the top of the second drum. Works well. I am not sure if the second drum will siphon the fuel from the first drum when the tote gets empty.

I need to add an air bleed valve with sight tube to the top of each drum. The tube will need to extend above the top tote so I can fill the drums without standing there watching for over flow.

posted Hide Post
Added the air bleed valves and tubing to make filling the drums a simple task.

posted Hide Post
FF;
That is a beautiful set up. Rudolf Diesel, I am sure, is smiling down on you.

posted Hide Post
Very nice.

www.turnerbiodiesel.com
www.turnerindustriesinc.com
Metal Fabrication and BioDiesel Products. Dry Wash Towers,Processors,Home Heating,Centrifuges,Steel Drum Cone

Location: Chippewa Falls WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice job FF!
I am green with envy! lol
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Gravity Rulz... and it's FREE !!

Nice work dude!

-Ken

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a gasket under those drum lids to prevent leakage?