BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    What about using pine shavings?????????

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What about using pine shavings?????????
 Login/Join

posted
I am in a bind, I need to wash some diesel , i posted about hard wood shaving and got little response ( but thanks juhu). SO whats wrong with using pine shavings. I can get my hands on those

Location: Texas | Registered: May 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
I'm not the expert on this stuff, but, the main reason people want to stay away from pine is the pitch. You can use it, but you have to run a sacrificial batch of biodiesel through it to remove the pine resins. Once it's passing through the sawdust clean, water wash what went through and supposedly the pine resins will wash out.

Try it and let us know how it works out for you.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I keep repeating myself here but I made up a column of kiln dried fir planer shavings year before last and they worked wonderfully. I used them after a running the bio through a couple static water washes (to remove the methanol). The shavings removed the vast majority of the water and soap. I never observed anything visible in the fuel or residue that led me to believe there was any resin present.
I use what ever shavings the carpentry shop next door gives me now. It's all kiln dried and I haven't seen anything odd yet other than spectacular soap removal.

I would say go ahead and use the pine if it's good and dry and please report the results back here.
As I see it, the determination of what woods work best is still up in the air. At this time I'm of the thought that the coursness and dryness of the shavings are quite important. What other factors are equally important and in what order? I don't know.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with DoubleD. I use pine shavings designed to be used as animal litter. after reading all the stuff about resin I experimented and left some of the stuff in a jar with bio and another in methanol. With the bio nothing was visible after a week. I evaporated the methanol and got the tiniest bit of residue.

Location: Nimbin Australia | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get resin with the first batch. The pine planer shavings that I use come from the sawmill, so the wood is still green (anything fresher will still be growing Smile). When I collect the shavings, the resin smell is so strong that it burns my eyes. I need to wind dry the shavings before I use it, but it works well and removes all the soap. Done many batches (250litre finished bio per batch) through a 45gal pine wood shaving drum and still works.

Land Cruiser 4.2tdi, Figo 1.4tdci,
W123 240d

Location: Bottom tip of Africa, Port Elizabeth | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post