BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Dry Wash Equipment
Page 1 2 

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry Wash Equipment
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raften:
When the resin is used up, how do you dispose of it?

Hi Raften.

The manufacturers' literature says the spent resin can be disposed as a normal household waste in a local landfill.

I think one should take that instruction "with a grain of salt". The spent resin must not contain any residual methanol. Also, the spent resin must not contain any free liquids. This would be any liquid, methanol, water, biodiesel.

In general, landfills have three waste classifications that might apply: hazardous, special, and regular. I talked to my local landfill manager about amberlite. He agreed that if the resin contained no methanol and if it passed the "paint filter test" (no free liquids), then he would accept it as regular house hold waste.

Location: Illinois | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Producer, a grain of salt is always the best way to go. The whole dry wash thing is interesting but I'll most likely still wet wash.

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: September 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is not meant to high jack or side step this great thread... but just as a point of interest in regard to the landfill issue. I was dropping of about 20 gallons of used motor oil late last year and I got to talking to a guy. I asked what they did with this stuff, he proceeded to tell me that some company sells it / takes it to a land fill and they spray it over the garbage / waste because it eats up styrofoam and the like to reduce the overall volume in the fill. Hows that for environmentally friendly???

Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffwh26:
Hows that for environmentally friendly???

Terrible!

The oil will eventually migrate to the water that accumulates in the landfill. From there it will enter the water treatment system where it will be difficult to treat. Or, it will eventually migrate into the ground water.

Used motor oils contain high concentrations of acids and heavy metals. The heavy metals are the bad actor.

I will be surprised if the person spraying the oil has an OK from the regulatory authorities for the operation.

Location: Illinois | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
From there it will enter the water treatment system

We're not talking the water table here, right? because from what I understand, modern landfills have pretty strict regulations on sealing the base materials...x ft of clay, x ft of such and such dirt, layers of plastic, etc, etc. At least that's what the sanitation engineer I had a few classes with in college always explained.

But if what they pull from the bottom of the pit is pumped to the wastewater treatment plant, then I can see what you're saying.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A properly designed landfill captures and treats the water.

An improperly designed plant may allow some/all of the water to escape the confinement and enter directly into groundwater.

I don't think a properly designed and operated landfill allows spraying waste oil onto the cells. But, I may be wrong on that point.

posted Hide Post
I wish I still knew that sanitation engineer's email, I'd ask him his opinion.

He was quite the interesting fellow...you'll never met a guy more excited about trash!

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a good source for the mesh stainless filter screen used under the PD206? (210 micron 70-80 mesh)
Thanks,
Paul

Location: Ohio | Registered: March 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some 80...What are you looking for?

Location: Derby City | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The less soap you feed the beads the better! The more soap the more contaminated they become! If you settle then most of the soap will go out with the glycerin and it will be fine.

Methanol, if you can, i would recomend gravity settle, then move the BD thru the beads with the methanol in it and then recover methanol after.(The concept here is that the beads will become exausted of methanol and let it pass thru, adsorbing the remaining impurities, keeping the biodiesel "thinner") If you like taking you methanol out before wash thats fine it will remove some residual methanol if you have any.

Although I agree whole heartedly with the first statement; I really don't think the second statement is a good practice.

Most biodiesel that is settled will contain approximately 1.5-3.0% Methanol depending on how much methanol is used initially (more in the beginning means more in the end). Anyway with this amount of methanol typical soap and glycerin concentrations will range from 2500 to 10,000 ppm (depending on how long you settle).

Glycerin and soap don't go below 1500 ppm with out significant methanol removal (they don't become immiscible until about 0.20%) therefore this method will exhaust a resin bed rapidly and could make it uneconomical for many potential users.

Lastly, methanol in your resin beds creates one more flammability concern for it user and potential disposal hazards when exhausted.

ABC Macro resin purification GC results

Please see these latest GC results from our recommended methodology using macroporous resin... This resin has been shown to successfully process up to 300 gallons per lb of resin.

GCG

Location: Michigan | Registered: May 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biodiesel Systems:
I have some 80...What are you looking for?

Dave,
Screens have arrived. Many thanks to you for your concern, and help.
Kind Regards,
Paul

Location: Ohio | Registered: March 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey guys just a note I'd make sure that 210 micron mesh is sufficient - we are using 170 micron screen and this is as per their recommendations - I've seem other recommendations for 150 micron screen. Mesh to Micron It looks like 80 is 178 microns (should be ok)

You might try doubling it up! But make sure the holes don't line up perfectly - rotate one screen approximately 45 deg. (not 90 or 180).

Otherwise you may have resin finds in your biodiesel - we have seen a small amount of pass through but recommend using a simple whole house water filter prior to fuel tank.

GCG

Location: Michigan | Registered: May 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
guys whats the best measurement of methanol and lye into one litre of WVO.thnks

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DryWashBiodiesel.com:
Well they dont really give us a specific amount. Basically how it works is as follows:

There should be a straightforward specification for the soap loading of the resin. That is so many lbs of soap per lb of resin at a given ppm soap in the finished BD.
You should be able to tell us what that number is or at least a range. Without that number your cost estimates for treatment might not be meaningful for any giving situation.
What is that number?
Tx.
Rick G.

posted Hide Post
Rick try to get a hold of the member GCG above, he has done several test on Purolite, Amberlite and Their own Resin. He should be able to provide specific number from the test he has done. Purolite has not released any information regearding soap because they want you to take car of FFA's on the from with an Acid Esterification. GCG knows his stuff.. great reference. Most of the information in this thread is old and has been changed since.

Nathan DeMartino
www.drywashbiodiesel.com