BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Purolite surcharge in effect

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purolite surcharge in effect
 Login/Join

posted
Thought you all should know.

Well, I got the call today(3-23-11) All Purolite resin will have a surcharge of .94 cents a pound. Quote " Unrest in the Middle East and North Africa has driven the price of oil over $100/bbl" " In order to maintain the health and strength of our company during this inflationary period, effective immediately, Purolite is adding a raw materials surcharge to all orders" " once costs go down the surcharge will be removed. Thank you for your understanding during these unstable times"

Sincerly, Jacob Brodie, Vice president, Purolite Company- Division of Bro Tech Corp.

I think thats a bunch of crap. Oil has been high like this before and no surcharge.

Wood chips here I come.

www.turnerbiodiesel.com
www.turnerindustriesinc.com
Metal Fabrication and BioDiesel Products. Dry Wash Towers,Processors,Home Heating,Centrifuges,Steel Drum Cone

Location: Chippewa Falls WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yep. I got the same thing on this end.
"Spike in oil prices has shot the price of Purolite up".
Uh huh...sure....and that huge stockpile of Purolite they've got sitting at the factory just "magically" jumped in price. LOL!!

Guess they're taking cues from the oil companies.

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I started 4 years ago, I employed Graham's 5% pre wash, de-meth, settle, and twin 8"X 60" PD206 towers. After 5000 gal., my PD206 is contaminated. So, I added a chip barrel, and all is well again.
I'm wondering if I should purge clean the PD206, buy new, go to Thermax, or just abandon the towers and use chips. I process about 1200-1500 gal/yr., and chips are free and plentiful. Did I just answer my own question?

Location: Ohio | Registered: March 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am useing DWR10 in a 12 inch tower. Lots cheaper than Purolite, A little slower feed rate though. I also have a sawdust,wood chip, planer shaving tower. ( whatever I can find) That also reduces the contamination in the DWR10. I belive a chip tower is a must have. Resin is way to expensive to load up after 1000 gallons in a 12 inch diameter tower with 125 pounds in it. I may be going to all wood shavings after my resin tower is loaded again.

www.turnerbiodiesel.com
www.turnerindustriesinc.com
Metal Fabrication and BioDiesel Products. Dry Wash Towers,Processors,Home Heating,Centrifuges,Steel Drum Cone

Location: Chippewa Falls WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ditto what Ian said.

I'd also say to purge your PD-206 with a methanol wash.
That way you can rinse out the media and should be good to go again plus with wood chips in front of them they'll last even longer.

More on the purging here:
http://www.utahbiodieselsupply...06MethanolWasing.pdf

And a video on Arbor performing a purge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...=channel_video_title

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you set up a chip drum in FRONT of the Purolite it will last a very long time. Of course the other parameters must also be met; proper demething of the fuel before it goes through the media. The more you ask the media to do the shorter its life span.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies.
Since I already have the resin towers, I'll purge clean, and use the chip barrel in front.

Location: Ohio | Registered: March 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lose the resin towers once you have used up whatever media you have in stock.

Move to all woodchip using three barrels in series and you will have shiny clean bio without demething or expense. Change barrels and rotate ie burn barrel one contents for heat, make barrel two barrel one, make barrel three barrel two, refill barrel one with new wood and make barrel three. Works great. lifespan of first barrel vastly shortened by not demething but works out path of least resistance and cost for me.

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post