BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    unorthodox drywash

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

unorthodox drywash
 Login/Join

posted
Hi folks

i have been drywashing with woodchips/sawdust using a tower but just progressed to a pool filter setup simlilar to h20 boys system (thanks for sharing h20 boy).

Problem is i get restless when a project is finished and there is no tinkering left to do so my next experiment is going to be... an old top loading washer as a woodchip/sawdust filter.

heres how i think i will set it up, line the bowl with stainless window screen, put foam strip around lid to make it airtight to keep moisture absorption at bay.

1/2 to 3/4 fill bowl with kiln dried elm woodchips, 3/4 fill with de-methed bio and leave for a few hours, select agitate cycle and let it run for a few mins, let bio sit overnight, select spin cycle and spin out bio thru wastewater pipe in machine into storage tank.

cons i can forsee:- seals and pump may not withstand bio exposure

standard lint filter in machine will need to be emptied first few batches

risk of auto ignition if not kept full of bio

pros i can forsee:- very little modification of washer

low financial outlay(scores of machines to choose from for less than 100 nzd)

residence time of bio in filter media can be as long as you like

the washers can take 80-120 litres of bio dependant on size of washer

empty out on spin cycle would be about 5mins and most of the bio would be forced out.

very easy to load/unload with woodchips

its going to be a blast trying it out !!

let me know of any more pros and cons and most of all any safety issues that YOU can forsee.

cheers

Location: new zealand | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds crazy,but I like crazy!Please post back how it pans out-I am sure there is just too much perished rubber about in an old machine to be bio proof,but time will tell-stay safe.

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think one potential problem is that the outer drum(the one that doesn't spin) is where your BD is mostly going to sit. Not sure if the soap will still be removed.

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca | Registered: July 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah i figured that to bernhardt thats why if i give it an agitate cycle it will stir up the whole concoction maybe once every few hours will suffice with residence time of 48hours ?

Location: new zealand | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dry Washing can be achieved without agitation or circulation. The bio can simply rest in the wood chips and polar bonds will remove the soap. Check out my discussion here: http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...1001332/m/5747086923 and see where it goes. I can't wait to see your outcome. Sounds like a fun project.

Location: Chicopee, MA | Registered: February 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post