BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Pine wood chips/ sawdust for dry wash.
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pine wood chips/ sawdust for dry wash.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info JON.
After this do you demeth your bio any longer?
Or after draining glyc you wash the fuel?

And for the glycerin? Do you try to recover something else?
Or you can use that glycerin after WBD and drained?

Thanks.
Eduardo.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yuka:
Thanks for the info JON.
After this do you demeth your bio any longer?
I bubble dry air through it over night to drive off any remaining methanol.
Or after draining glyc you wash the fuel?
Nope, I just let it sit for a week or 3 then send it through the chips.
And for the glycerin? Do you try to recover something else?
Or you can use that glycerin after WBD and drained?
Once I get a full tote of glycerin I call the farmer up the road and he comes and gets it to feed to his cows. We make some soap with some of it too but that is a very small percentage of it...
Cheers,
Jon

Thanks.
Eduardo.

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks JON.

I wanted to ask you something.
Im designing a methanol recovery unit.

I really want to do WBD to waste less energy while the fuel is still hot.

So long story short.
How do you do it?

Do you use vacuum?
Do you pump the fuel like processing? Or bubbling air?

I wanna run some small tests on lab.
Any info from you would be great, as you are already familiar with the method.

Thanks again bro.

Eduardo.

posted Hide Post
Good timing, I have the processor loaded and am about to start a 1400L batch tonight.
I made a boiler to heat my batch which requires me to run my pump whenever I need heat, so yes I pump when reclaiming the methanol. With WBD its important to pump from the bottom of the reactor too because as the methanol comes out the glycerin becomes heavier and thicker. You need to pump this thick stuff into the head space of the reactor so the methanol will flash out of it and into your condenser.
A strong open impeller pump is what I recommend for WBD.
Here is my process.
I filter the oil through a window screen into the processor.
First I dewater.
I will start the boiler when I get home tonight and set the stat for 220F.
Once the oil gets up to about 160F (its currently at 45F) I will turn on the condenser water and start the vacuum pump.
Once the oil hits 220F I find the oil will be dry and no more water will be dripping out the condenser (I have a clear vacuum hose between the condenser and collection tank so I can see whats flowing). If water is still flowing I will let it go until its dry. Then I shut it down for the night to cool down.
The next morning I will titrate the batch and mix up the methoxide, I add a fresh drum of methanol into my mixer along with the caustic then add about a half drum of 98% recovered methanol into the mixer and let it mix.
When the batch cools down to <=160F I suck in the methoxide at the input of the processor pump and arrange the valves so the output of the pump is split between the top pipe and my eductor nozzle. I have the reactor under vacuum to assist with sucking it in.
After the methoxide is added I let it mix for about 1/2 an hour before I do a 3/27, if it passes I will start the WBD recovery.
I set the boiler stat to Max 170F, fire up the condenser water and vac pump and let it go until its done.
With my current 3/8” condenser (too small!) it takes around 12~18 hours to recover all the methanol which takes us to around 11 or noon on Sunday at which point I suck all the batch out of the boiler into the main reactor and let it settle for 20~30 minutes before draining the glycerin.
Once the glycerine is drained I pump the hot batch into a tote and start the bubbler. I let the bubbler pump dry air through the batch overnight and shut if off before I go to work Monday morning.
I let it settle for a week or three before sending it through the chips into my finished fuel tote, from there it goes through a goldenrod 10u filter before hitting my vehicle tanks...
Thats about it, I should have a 1400L batch converted, demethed and ready for filtering in a weekend.
Cheers,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John good you te OK.

I want to try cold filtration.
And wanted to ask you some questions..

As i remember you use am upflow system, with a cooled woodchip barrel system.

At what temperature do you run your Woodchip barrel?
After the BIO comes out the cold barrel, does it come liquid ir gelified?
Do you store it and wait till room temperature?

I purify first with woodchips column at room temp (i want to lower the temp of that column), then it passes thru a column with ion exchange resin.
I dont want to put gelified BIO in my resin towers.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Have a good day.
Eduardo G

posted Hide Post
Yuka; the last post was a long time ago, but I saw your interest in dry washing using wood chips. A small problem with wood chips is they have soluble chemicals in them that will dissolve in biodiesel. I never used them. Using fresh wood chips washes out soluble materials. I know that washing the wood chips with dry alcohol will clean them as a purifying agent. Cellulose in wood is an alcohol that soap will adhere to , in a stationary phase. So eventually the wood chips have to be changed since each molecular location that can attract a soap molecule has already done so.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post