BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Dry wash with resin and wood chips

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry wash with resin and wood chips
 Login/Join

posted
I have just updated my webpages on Dry Washing using a combination of both hard wood chips and Purolite PD206 resin. http://www.b100wh.com/drywash.html Comments are welcome.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Good work!

Is the demething optional?

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I suppose it could be, however that would shorten the life of the chips and perhaps even the resin as well.

Prior to setting up the chips I had only the resin tanks, and after settling followed by demething a sample was tested with GC and was found to be at the pass mark for free and total glycerine. After having gone through the resin tanks those numbers dropped by over 30% (from .240 to .161). The results RolfQuo has gotten with low soap content biodiesel (800-1,000ppm) nets zero after once pass through the chips in these drums.

They use 2 sets of 4 in series and have sent over 50,000L through them so far and still going strong. They test several times during the process as Andy and Kai are obsesssed with quality.

My use of chips in this manner is to prolong resin life as well as increase the potential for better fuel. The resin becomes a polish more than a purification media at this point and on the offhand som eminiscule particulates get through it all the CAT 2 micron can will catch it.

I'm happy with it (and I'm not easily pleased Roll Eyes ).

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Legal,

Is that chip drum pumped under pressure? Any leaks around the rim?

Neat setup/.

posted Hide Post
It's a drum prepared by RolfQuo Biodiesel and is the same they are using. hey pump at or below 5psi. My system uses a by pass from the ShurFlo pump with the first leg going to the purifying tanks and the second returning to the demething tank. I draw from a standpipe and occasionally drain the bottom of it's soaps.

All I do is leave the return full open and flip open the other one. Any backpressure will redirect to the return line. I haven't measured the flow rate yet as it is still fairly new (to me anyway) but it seems to be about what I was getting before with just the resin tanks and CAT can. I thought of addding a pressure gauge but that would be a curio more than anything at this point.RolfQuo has them on theirs though.

A side note; inside the demething tank I have the return line split in two. One side is a straight tube but the other is an industrial 120degree full cone spray head by Bete.

And I have a question. By leaving some of the soaps in the bottom of the tank when I first start circulating they join the flow, thick at first then thinned out once dilluted. My question is; do the soaps help draw out other soaps (like bubble gum removes bubble gum) ? I always settle at least a day's worth after demething to allow the soaps some time to drop out of solution, but I ws wondering about the relationship of having soaps join the flow when getting ready to demeth the next batch.