BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Dry Washing Biodiesel    Wood chips vs ion exchange resin vs water??

Moderators: The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood chips vs ion exchange resin vs water??
 Login/Join

posted
Im from Mexico.
I make biodiesel from very high titration oil.

I want to make faster, good quality biodiesel, since i have been water washing it with for about 2 years now.

I see that there are a lot of options of dry wash systems.
My question is.

For high titration oil;

Whats the better option?
First sawdust or chip wood , then Purolite resin??

First we make an Acid Esterification to lower the oil titration.
Then we do the trans.
We let it settle overnight, then water wash.

Any help would be really aprecciate.

Thanks.

Eduardo.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Whats the better option?
First sawdust or chip wood , then Purolite resin??

Eduardo,
Hopefully you can find a good source for hardwood chips. I'm sure sawdust would clog my system .
I and most if not all others use the wood chips first to protect the more expensive resin. I think you will be much happier doing the same.
After the fuel is demethed completely and then settled for about a day it goes to the wood chips.
I leave it there about a day. My 12 inch resign tower and 1 micron polisher have remained stress free since the wood chips came on line over 2 years ago. Never had any hot spots inside the drums or issues with combustion leaving the system empty of fuel over time ( leaving moist chips in the drums) I always make sure the vents are closed.

Good luck
regards
Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hola Eduardo;
Bienvenido al foro.

If speed is what you are looking for and have plenty of energy then *hot* water washing with a glycerine-free biodiesel is the way to go, but if you are not in a big hurry then there are options.

Graham Laming's site http://www.graham-laming.com/b...tate_diagram_new.htm has his system that is both water free and wood chip / resin free, but requires time.

Read the interview I did with RolfQuo (in my sig line). They produced biodiesel on a commercial scale via acid processing and wood chips only until last year when a drum of Purolite PD206 was added for additional polish.

I've used the combination of chips and resin for the last few years with superb results. Whether it be water washing or dry media purification you will need to get the methanol out of the mix. With water that is simple as it comes out in the wash (!) but with dry media it has to be distilled out which requires heat and circulation. This is what I now use; distilling the residual methanol out of the biodiesel and then settling it so the soaps can drop out of solution (Graham explains the chemistry on his site) and then the fuel goes through both chips and resin to finish up in a 2 micron fuel filter.

Graham's method shows the relationship between the soaps and residual methanol. Once the methanol is removed then the soaps will drop out of solution no longer having anything to cling to. Graham uses time to do this; we use dry media to speed up the process by allowing most soaps to drop out in a couple days and then finishing the job with the media, but the principle is the same.

RolfQuo's production uses KOH and mine NaOH, but the final results are identical; ZERO soaps ppm in the finished fuel.RolfQuo's oil was generally considerably higher titrating than mine as it was a mixed commercial source while mine is low titrating canola only. Again, same end result.

Expero util a ti.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply.
Very helpful.

What kind of wood would you recommend??
What size its best for the chips?

I always get rid of the methanol excess by heating the biodiesel and applying air bubbles for about 2-3 hours, after draining the glycerin. Is this enough?
I not interested in methanol recovery. I only want to take the meth excess from the fuel.

After doing all this i should pass the fuel thru the chips, then the resin?

Thanks for the help.

Eduardo.
Saludos para todos.

posted Hide Post
How should i set up my wood chip drum?
Im clueless.

I cant find pictures, and my english isnt good enough to understand everything. There are not much spanish information in this subject.

I dont know what kind of wood is better. What size is the best for the wood chips?
What drum size should i use for a 160 gal/day production?
Should i let the biodiesel settle or only let it run thru the chips?

I' ve been reading there's issues with spontaneous combustion.

Any suggestion would be really aprecciated.
Thanks.
Eduardo.

posted Hide Post
Water Wash 1 = 1/5 of fuel volume, misted on top of fuel, no agitation

Water Wash 2 = 1/5 of fuel volume, misted on top of fuel, minimal agitation, small amt vinegar added

Water Wash 3 = 1/5 of fuel volume, misted on top of fuel, maximum agitation

Goes to dehydrator

Then it goes through a tower of oak chips as a final polish

Kumar Plocher
Yokayo Biofuels
Yokayo Biofuels Facebook page
.........../ \..............
fueling / R \ evolution since 2001
'''''''''''''/____\'''''''''''''''''''

Sustainable Biodiesel...

Location: Ukiah, CA USA | Registered: September 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post